Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] (powd) French CD

Maurice R. Kelly mkelly at deadheart.org.uk
Thu Apr 22 02:01:18 MDT 2004

On Apr 22, NISBETD at aol.com wrote:

> soberman_69 at hotmail.com writes:
>
> Today, I  received an advance notice from CDNow.com or CDUniverse (can't
> remember  which at the moment) that they are taking preorders for a
> French Oils CD  entitled simply "Les Indespensables".  Unfortnately, the
> store had no  other information, other than a US price of $10.95.  Any
> idea what  this is?  It sounds like another "best of" comp.
> Looks like a best of. Here's the track list from Amazon France.
> 1. Blue Sky Mine
> 2. The Dead Heart
> 3. Sometimes
> 4. Burnie
> 5.  Brave Faces
> 6. Only The Strong
> 7. Bells And Horns In The Back Of  Beyond
> 8. Jimmy Sharman's Boxers
> 9. Progress
> 10. Antarctica
> 11. Bushfire
> 12. My Country
> 13.  Underwater
> 14. Safety Chain Blues
> 15. Redneck  Wonderland

It's the strangest Best Of I've ever seen. What record company releases a
best of (which is almost invariably a cash-in) without the band's biggest
worldwide hit.  And much as I like the songs, Bells and Horns, Jimmy
Sharman's and Safety Chain Blues on a best of - something very strange
about this album.

Either way, I've just ordered it.

While looking for more info about this release I decided to browse
Amazon.co.uk and I found a DVD called "Midnight Oil - Ultimate Clip
Collection"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000B1JY1/ref=pd_pym_rvi_3/202-8691826-7768644

It's only 8.99UKP so I'm ordering it as well - the track listing is extremely
unimpressive (8 songs listed below) but I've bought it any to give the
band a bit of support here in the UK (probably a useless effort, I know.)
Interestingly it seems that 20,000 Watt RSL has been released in the UK on
DVD - it's available from Amazon.co.uk for 12.99UKP.

--
Maurice R. Kelly
mkelly at deadheart.org.uk