Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Minutes to Midnight -- great discussion

ribman at manthey.com.au ribman at manthey.com.au
Mon Apr 12 19:17:31 MDT 2004

hi all

yet another famous 88 ...
the most renowned free-standing canon used by the Germans in WW2
was the '88' - 88 millimetre barrel diameter ... those barrels get
searingly hot when fired repeatedly ("very rapid rate of fire: 25
rounds per minute") ... fingers would indeed blister on the 88. for a full
dissertation on how well-noted the 88 is ...
http://www.lonesentry.com/tacticalstudy/

and given that Oils are singing about military issues in MTM, it is pretty
sweet that they'd write in as many dualistic ambiguous terms as
possible, musos are such poets ... double / triple meanings
everywhere.

the '88' is very iconic in military hardware lingo ... like 'everyone' knows
a 'U-boat' is a German submarine and a '303' is a rifle (the aussie
military rifle of choice, WW1, WW2).  funny that 303 never appeared
in an an Oils song given their penchant for slipping in iconic, evocative
words.

love those hidden layers ...
rob