Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC : oilish music (Bad Language Warning - don't open if easily offended)

Maurice R. Kelly mkelly@deadheart.org.uk
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 11:45:33 +0100 (BST)

On Sep 9, jeffm@jeack.com.au wrote:

> hi bruce,
>
> can't believe i'm writing this, coz i can't stand what the man ostensibly
> represents, but marilyn manson's lyrics are pretty good from a 'let's
> analyse what crap we're getting through the ether' stance, and anti war
> lyrics.  take this one for instance:

<snip lyrics>

> it's a good song, substance-wise, and if you won't get into trouble talking
> about this stuff with your students, it might be a good shock for them to
> hear you directing them to an artist they wouldn't expect.

I have to place agreement with Jeff here - for all the abuse he gets in
the media, I belive Marilyn Manson is a powerful lyricist - he uses shock
value to get his messages to the masses, but I love listening to the
lyrics just as much as the crunching sounds. Songs like The Love Song and
The Nobodies are fantastic - although I find that a lot of his material is
written from the point of view of the people he is trying to criticise.

--
Maurice R. Kelly
mkelly@deadheart.org.uk