Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC : oilish music (Bad Language Warning - don't open if easily offended)

Beth Curran bcurran@columbus.rr.com
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 21:12:28 -0400

*snort*  You can't use these words with students even when the wording
is necessary to get the point across.  You can't even read Howl or
Catcher or even Huck Finn.  BTW naked people are right out, too.  That's
not art, that's porn!

What was it Vonnegut wrote in one of his essays?  I'm too tired to get
up and look for the exact wording.  It was in response to some idiot who
was trying to get his books banned (again!): "It is true that some of
the characters in my books use coarse language.  This is because
sometimes people use coarse language in real life." - Beth

-----Original Message-----
From: powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu
[mailto:powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu] On Behalf Of
jeffm@jeack.com.au
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 2:33 PM
To: powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
Subject: [Powderworks] NMOC : oilish music (Bad Language Warning - don't
open if easily offended)

hi bruce,

can't believe i'm writing this, coz i can't stand what the man
ostensibly
represents, but marilyn manson's lyrics are pretty good from a 'let's
analyse what crap we're getting through the ether' stance, and anti war
lyrics.  take this one for instance:

The song is "This is the New Shit". Here's the whole song:

Everything has been said before
There's nothing left to say anymore
When it's all the same
You can ask for it by name

Babble, Babble, Bitch, Bitch
Rebel, Rebel, Party, Party
Sex, sex, sex, and don't forget the violence
Blah, blah, blah
Got your lovey-dovey sad and lonely
Stick your stupid slogan in
Everybody sing along
Babble, Babble, Bitch, Bitch
Rebel, Rebel, Party, Party
Sex, sex, sex, and don't forget the violence
Blah, blah, blah
Got your lovey-dovey sad and lonely
Stick your stupid slogan in
Everybody sing along

Are you motherfuckers ready for the new shit?
Stand up and admit, tomorrow's never coming
This is the new shit
Stand up and admit it
Do we need it? NO!
Do we want it? YEAH!
This is the new shit
Stand up and admit it

Babble, Babble, Bitch, Bitch
Rebel, Rebel, Party, Party
Sex, sex, sex, and don't forget the violence
Blah, blah, blah
Got your lovey-dovey sad and lonely
Stick your stupid slogan in
Everybody sing along
Everything has been said before
There's nothing left to say anymore
When it's all the same
You can ask for it by name

Are you motherfuckers ready for the new shit?
Stand up and admit , tomorrow's never coming
This is the new shit
Stand up and admit it
Do we need it? NO!
Do we want it? YEAH!
This is the new shit
Stand up and admit

Now it's you-know-who
I got the you-know-what
I'll stick it you-know-where
You know why, you don't care
Now it's you-know-who
I got the you-know-what
I'll stick it you-know-where
You know why, you don't care
Now it's you-know-who
I got the you-know-what
I'll stick it you-know-where
You know why, you don't care
Now it's you-know-who
I got the you-know-what
I'll stick it you-know-where
You know why, you don't care

Babble, Babble, Bitch, Bitch
Rebel, Rebel, Party, Party
Sex, sex, sex, don't forget the violence
Blah, blah, blah
Got your lovey-dovey sad and lonely
Stick your stupid slogan in
Everybody sing along

Are you motherfuckers ready for the new shit?
Stand up and admit , tomorrow's never coming
This is the new shit
Stand up and admit
Do we need it? NO!
Do we want it? YEAH!
This is the new shit
Stand up and admit

Let us
We're entertaining you
Let us
We're entertaining you
Let us
We're entertaining you
Let us
We're entertaining you
Let us
We're entertaining you

it's a good song, substance-wise, and if you won't get into trouble
talking
about this stuff with your students, it might be a good shock for them
hear you directing them to an artist they wouldn't expect.

just food for thought...

cheers,
jeff
http://www.jeack.com.au