Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Seeking Oilish Music With A Conscience

Kate Parker Adams kate@dnki.net
Fri, 05 Sep 2003 21:34:04 -0400

--=====================_294708708==_.ALT

Most Canadian Bruceloid!

Do check in to the UK Folkpunk band "The Levellers".  They sing volumes
about working class and underclass problems, the soul-sucking aspects of
over-paced and over technologized modern life, the double standards in
society for rich and poor, and unpolished yarns about alcohol stupidities.

Specifically check out:

Men-an-tol (modern-life's sterility versus ancient peoples and meaning in
nature),

Sell Out ("The power of the rich is held by few
Keep the young paralyzed, educated by your lies
Keep the old ones happy with the news
Tell the singer not to song his song
Tell the poet that she's wrong
And in the courts you'll win the case with lies)

Another Man's Cause (sending working class folks off to die in wars not for
their benefit - e.g. PFC Lynch ...)

Dirty Davey (he's no saint or even an altar boy, but he runs afoul of "a
law for the rich and a law for the poor")

Battle of the Beanfield (Bloody tale of the brutal bulldozing of a homeless
squatter settlement while the people were still in it)

Julie (a "good girl" sinks into the hoplessness of poverty and unemployment)

They have some really fun songs too, mostly about drinking way too much or
chasing lassies and generally having a good time.  They don't gloss over
the consequences though.  Beautiful Day is very funny but the kids would
get rather lost in the references to classical films and historical
revolutionaries.

Last time I saw them they were pared down to an acoustic 3-piece for a
fantastically intimate set where lead singer/guitarist/footdrummer Mark
teased me incessantly for my dancing beside the stage and a roadie tossed
me a T-shirt at the end for being a good sport in exchanging witty lines.

I would also recommend Radiohead's "Fake Plastic Trees" as a commentary on
mass-produced modern life.  Of course "I'm a freak ... I'm a wierdo ... I
don't belong here ..." reeks alienation.

On a Canadian note (sips can of Molson ...) there's always Rush.  Volumes
and volumes of Rush.  Stuff like The Trees or Oaks and Maples (or whatever
the hell that one is called ...), and Subdivisons (Conform or be cast out!
Any escape might help to smooth the unattractive truth, but the suburbs
have no charms to soothe the restless dreams of youth).  I'd be lying if
the latter song hasn't had a powerful effect on the environment I raise my
kids in.  I'm sure there are many others only a true Canadian would recall.

Hope that helps!
kPa

At 12:11 PM 9/5/03 -0400, Bruce Robertson wrote:
>Greetings Fellow Workers,
>
>I have a favour to ask all of you. The oil fish is back in school and
>working on another Oily project. This time it will be a website that will
>feature music, lyrics and images that get at concepts from our social
>studies curriculum. My hope is to get 12-15 year olds thinking differently
>about things, and have a bit of fun in the process. If any of you have the
>time, could you post your recommendations of bands whose music deals with
>any of the following ideas/issues?
>
>environmental and eco- intelligence or lack thereof
>industrialization, urbanization
>economics - capitalism, centrally planned, pros and cons, etc...
>war and peace
>poverty
>social justice
>technology and change
>human rights
>political exploitation
>imperialism, globalization
>etc...etc...
>
>It would be most excellent if you would be so kind as to include specific
>records/songs with the name of the band.
>
>Obviously the Oils have most of this stuff covered, but I need to offer a
>bit of variety, otherwise I could just refer all the kids to the Oils via
>Maurice's wonderful Deadheart site - which I usually do anyway!
>
>This is part of my exit project at grad school - a kind of interactive and
>practice-based assignment instead of a thesis - so if any of you have the
>time to post suggestions, I would be very grateful.
>
>Thanks to all and cheers eh!
>
>bruce in calgary
>
>"We sure need the Stone Age in the coming century" ~ R Hirst
>

>Post your free ad now! <http://ca.personals.yahoo.com/>Yahoo! Canada Personals

Kate Parker Adams
kate@dnki.net
"She's gonna dream up the world she wants to live in,
She's gonna dream out loud" - U2 (Zooropa)
go Out Of Mind ... http://www.dnki.net/blog
--=====================_294708708==_.ALT

Most Canadian Bruceloid!<br>
Do check in to the UK Folkpunk band &quot;The Levellers&quot;.&nbsp; They
sing volumes about working class and underclass problems, the
soul-sucking aspects of over-paced and over technologized modern life,
the double standards in society for rich and poor, and unpolished yarns
about alcohol stupidities.<br>
Specifically check out:<br>
Men-an-tol (modern-life's sterility versus ancient peoples and meaning in
nature), <br>
Sell Out (&quot;The power of the rich is held by few <br>
Keep the young paralyzed, educated by your lies <br>
Keep the old ones happy with the news <br>
Tell the singer not to song his song <br>
Tell the poet that she's wrong <br>
And in the courts you'll win the case with lies)<br>
Another Man's Cause (sending working class folks off to die in wars not
for their benefit - e.g. PFC Lynch ...)<br>
Dirty Davey (he's no saint or even an altar boy, but he runs afoul of
&quot;a law for the rich and a law for the poor&quot;)<br>
Battle of the Beanfield (Bloody tale of the brutal bulldozing of a
homeless squatter settlement while the people were still in it)<br>
Julie (a &quot;good girl&quot; sinks into the hoplessness of poverty and
unemployment)<br>
They have some really fun songs too, mostly about drinking way too much
or chasing lassies and generally having a good time.&nbsp; They don't
gloss over the consequences though.&nbsp; Beautiful Day is very funny but
the kids would get rather lost in the references to classical films and
historical revolutionaries.&nbsp; <br>
Last time I saw them they were pared down to an acoustic 3-piece for a
fantastically intimate set where lead singer/guitarist/footdrummer Mark
teased me incessantly for my dancing beside the stage and a roadie tossed
me a T-shirt at the end for being a good sport in exchanging witty
lines.<br>
I would also recommend Radiohead's &quot;Fake Plastic Trees&quot; as a
commentary on mass-produced modern life.&nbsp; Of course &quot;I'm a
freak ... I'm a wierdo ... I don't belong here ...&quot; reeks
alienation.<br>
On a Canadian note (sips can of Molson ...) there's always Rush.&nbsp;
Volumes and volumes of Rush.&nbsp; Stuff like The Trees or Oaks and
Maples (or whatever the hell that one is called ...), and Subdivisons
(Conform or be cast out! Any escape might help to smooth the unattractive
truth, but the suburbs have no charms to soothe the restless dreams of
youth).&nbsp; I'd be lying if the latter song hasn't had a powerful
effect on the environment I raise my kids in.&nbsp; I'm sure there are
many others only a true Canadian would recall.<br>
Hope that helps!<br>
kPa<br>
At 12:11 PM 9/5/03 -0400, Bruce Robertson wrote:<br>
&nbsp;<br>
I have a favour to ask all of you. The oil fish is back in school and
working on another Oily project. This time it will be a website that will
feature music, lyrics and images that get at concepts from our social
studies curriculum. My hope is to get 12-15 year olds thinking
differently about things, and have a bit of fun in the process. If any of
you have the time, could you post your recommendations of bands whose
music deals with any of the following ideas/issues?<br>
&nbsp;<br>
environmental and eco- intelligence or lack thereof<br>
industrialization, urbanization<br>
economics - capitalism, centrally planned, pros and cons, etc...<br>
war and peace<br>
poverty<br>
social justice<br>
technology and change<br>
human rights<br>
political exploitation<br>
imperialism, globalization<br>
etc...etc...<br>
&nbsp;<br>
It would be most excellent if you would be so kind as to include specific
records/songs with the name of the band.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Obviously the Oils have most of this stuff covered, but I need to offer a
bit of variety, otherwise I could just refer all the kids to the Oils via
Maurice's wonderful Deadheart site - which I usually do anyway!<br>
&nbsp;<br>
This is part of my exit project at grad school - a kind of interactive
and practice-based assignment instead of a thesis - so if any of you have
the time to post suggestions, I would be very grateful.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Thanks to all and cheers eh!<br>
&nbsp;<br>
bruce in calgary<br>
&nbsp;<br>
&quot;We sure need the Stone Age in the coming century&quot; ~ R
Hirst<br>
Post your free ad now! <a href="http://ca.personals.yahoo.com/"><b>Yahoo!
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Kate Parker Adams<br>
kate@dnki.net<br>
&quot;She's gonna dream up the world she wants to live in,<br>
She's gonna dream out loud&quot; - U2 (Zooropa)<br>
go Out Of Mind ...