Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Workers Jobs

Beth Curran bcurran at columbus.rr.com
Sat Nov 1 07:53:43 MST 2003

I have the most violent job of anyone on the list, so there.  I hunt
down and KILL KILL KILL peanuts whenever they put one tiny little foot
across the imaginary lines.  Peanuts are molecular cockroaches, waiting
to survive nuclear Armageddon and take over the world.  On deck behind
the peanuts in the struggle for ideological domination are crustacea,
fish, wheat, soy, milk, egg, and tree nuts.  Some of these scumsucking
proteins are actually invisible, thus posing significant additional
challenges.

Over the last 2 years my job satisfaction has plummeted owing to
ill-conceived cost-cutting and the constant badgering for more, more,
more work, without a pat on the back, promotion, or raise in sight.  I'm
not even allowed to review my staff honestly any more, as ratings are
now restricted and only a select few are permitted to be rated as
anything above average. I want Bruce's job so bad it hurts, and if I had
the guts of a planaria I'd tell the corporate world to shove it where
the Sun don't shine and go teach chemistry at the local all-girls
school.  - Beth