Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Chris Abrahams: Glow

James A. Smith jasmith@cim.mcgill.ca
Sat, 24 May 2003 08:59:45 -0400 (EDT)

Howdy, folks,

I put in an order for the "No Man's Land Single" earlier in the month
through Whammo, and although it hasn't arrived yet, I did get an
interesting CD in the mail yesterday: "Glow" by Chris Abrahams.  I ordered
it for fun at the same time that I ordered "No Man's Land". Chris was the
keyboardist who toured with the Oils a few years back (I believe that he
was the guy dressed in black, with his back to the camera during the
Letterman appearance a while back).

Anywho, I'm loving the disc.  It's about 45 minutes of -- to my untrained
ear -- really good, creative, solo piano.  It varies from pieces that
drift in and out of the background to some rapid fire, fast-paced tracks.
I'm surprised that I enjoy it so much since I'm used to hearing the piano
accompany other instruments; rarely do I ever listen to solo piano.
Often during the album it almost sounds like there is more than one person
playing due to the speed at which Chris plays and his choice of key
combinations.

I'd definitely recommend it!

A bio on Chris can be found at http://www.thenecks.com/pages/bios.html.

-James

P.S. Does anyone here know whether Neil Murray's new album, "Going the
Distance", will be carried by Whammo or be available for online purchase?
(My email to the Dust discussion group bounced, I think)  His previous
album has been well received by my office mates and I'm looking forward to
hearing the new one.