Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC What's on your bookshelves?

Bruce Robertson the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca
Fri, 23 May 2003 12:50:55 -0400 (EDT)

--0-1852835454-1053708655=:79406

What a great thread!!

Five books that have changed my life:

   1984 (Orwell)
   The Idiot (Dostoyevsky)
   The Hobbit (any Tolkien)
   Surprised By Joy (Lewis)
   John's Gospel, or Solomon's Proverbs

By rights I should mention some of the kids lit. we've read to our young over the years...over and over and over ~ it tends to stick in a strange and wonderful and life enhancing way. I now find myself quoting Dr Seuss, Don Freeman or even the Curious George guy  :)

cheers from true north,

bruce in calgary

bmounier@sympatico.ca wrote:
After seeing the limited response to the release of Willie's I started wondering if perhaps, Workers were not much book people.
Therefore I'd be curious to hear the following:
Name up to 5 books that remain pillars in your literary life.
I'll start, in no particular order (and this is far from exhaustive):

Malevil, Robert Merle
The Lord of the rings (20 years before it became a movie)
Atlas shrugged, Ayn Rand
Jitterbug perfume, Tom Robbins
Anything by Lucy Maud Montgomery
Anything by Alexandre Dumas

Anybody?

Brigitte

---------------------------------

--0-1852835454-1053708655=:79406

<DIV>What a great thread!!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Five books that have changed my life:</DIV>
<OL>
<LI>1984 (Orwell)</LI>
<LI>The Idiot (Dostoyevsky)</LI>
<LI>The Hobbit (any Tolkien)</LI>
<LI>Surprised By Joy (Lewis)</LI>
<LI>John's Gospel, or Solomon's Proverbs</LI></OL>
<P>By rights I should mention some of the kids lit. we've read to our young over the years...over and over and over ~ it tends to stick in a strange and wonderful and life&nbsp;enhancing way. I now find myself quoting Dr Seuss, Don Freeman or even the Curious George guy&nbsp; :)</P>
<P>cheers from true north,</P>
<P>bruce in calgary<BR><BR><B><I>bmounier@sympatico.ca</I></B> wrote:</P>
--0-1852835454-1053708655=:79406--