Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] singers

Erin Oneill Erin.Oneill@newcastle.edu.au
Fri, 16 May 2003 12:28:23 +1000

--Boundary_(ID_YKkJSInDCyimJJ/jLOEQKA)

There are two ways to view lead singers... those who are in effect =
showmen/women, and those who are singers (ie you could take them anywhere, =
unplugged and they would have no trouble adapting to the circumstances).  =
Garrett is a showman - any vocal natural ability he has has been refined =
through working with the rest of the band, and they adapted their music =
accordingly to suit him.  On the denton interview it seems that rob was =
frustrated with petes vocal limitations at times, but it comes down to the =
type of music you are singing.  I doubt that Yvonne Kenny would front the =
oils as well as pete, but then petes ability to sing a range of opera, =
oratorio etc would be pretty limited as well.  There is one other =
advantage of voice lessons... it teaches you how to avoid abusing your =
voice.  Case in point- Bono.  Listen to the early work and then listen to =
the more recent stuff.  His voice is up shit creek, but there is only so =
much the rest of the band can cover for.  Some of it is just the rocknroll =
lifestyle, but a lot of it is overuse, abuse during singing etc.  You =
wouldn't ask a marathon runner to do 10 marathons in a week, but singers =
ask that of their vocal chords.  Most just don't last the distance.

So with regards to the rest of the band and a lead singer, I'm going to go =
out on a limb (flame retardant gear is on) and suggest that none of them =
are suited  I have seen a number of ghosties gigs, listened to fuzzface =
and the hunting party and I don't think any of them are showmen in the =
same vein that pete was.  Whether they are suitable singers will depend on =
the type of music that they choose to play.  I would like to see them test =
themselves and have a female vocalist.  It would be very different for =
them and would open up new avenues musically.

--Boundary_(ID_YKkJSInDCyimJJ/jLOEQKA)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2716.2200" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 8pt Microsoft Sans Serif; MARGIN-LEFT=
: 2px">
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>There are two ways to view lead singers... those who =
are in=20
effect showmen/women, and those who are singers (ie you could take them=20
anywhere, unplugged and they would have no trouble adapting to the=20
circumstances).&nbsp; Garrett is a showman - any vocal natural ability he =
has=20
has been refined through working with the rest of the band, and they =
adapted=20
their music accordingly to suit him.&nbsp; On the denton interview it =
seems that=20
rob was frustrated with petes vocal limitations at times, but it comes =
down to=20
the type of music you are singing.&nbsp; I doubt that Yvonne Kenny would =
front=20
the oils as well as pete, but then petes ability to sing a range of =
opera,=20
oratorio etc would be pretty limited as well.&nbsp; There is one other =
advantage=20
of voice lessons... it teaches you how to avoid abusing your voice.&nbsp; =
Case=20
in point- Bono.&nbsp; Listen to the early work and then listen to the =
more=20
recent stuff.&nbsp; His voice is up shit creek, but there is only so much =
the=20
rest of the band can cover for.&nbsp; Some of it is just the rocknroll=20
lifestyle, but a lot of it is overuse, abuse during singing etc.&nbsp; =
You=20
wouldn't ask a marathon runner to do 10 marathons in a week, but singers =
ask=20
that of their vocal chords.&nbsp; Most just don't last the=20
distance.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>So with regards to the rest of the band and a lead =
singer, I'm=20
going to go out on a limb (flame retardant gear is on) and suggest that =
none of=20
them are suited&nbsp; I have seen a number of ghosties gigs, listened =
to=20
fuzzface and the hunting party and I don't think any of them are showmen =
in the=20
same vein that pete was.&nbsp; Whether they are suitable singers will =
depend on=20
the type of music that they choose to play.&nbsp; I would like to see them =
test=20
themselves and have a female vocalist.&nbsp; It would be very different =
for them=20
and would open up new avenues musically.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_YKkJSInDCyimJJ/jLOEQKA)--