Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Scarey Workers Revisited

Bruce Robertson the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca
Tue, 13 May 2003 10:38:35 -0400 (EDT)

--0-1967048848-1052836715=:4035

Good Evening and Welcome to Another Frightening Episode,

I've been pondering the idea that we are perceived by some band members as a scarey bunch.

It seems to me that the specific reference was made to a time when somebody in OZ showed a thread to members of the band, and the response was that we (workers) were reading way too much into the lyrics. If I'm not mistaken somebody back then had suggested that the Oils weren't playing as many old songs due to a change of heart, or a spiritual awakening, or some such thing. There was actually a flaming debate about the issue, which seemed to arise over the absence of any really old material in the setlists coming up from OZ during the tours of early 2001. The idea was eventually dismissed, but it allegedly raised the ire of some workers and band members. Anybody else remember that thread from about 2 years ago? It definitely would've been unfortunate timing if that was their first and only glimpse into the wooly world of powderworks!

I don't know if the Oils have dropped in for a peek at other times. I know if people were writing stuff about my songs I couldn't resist (being a baser man I'm sure) but if they did drop in recently they might get another fright, given our recent thread on PG's buttocks!! (a cross between sublime and superfluous, IMO BTW)

Anyway, that's the first and only time I remember anybody saying anything about the Oil's perceptions of their cyber fan base here on Powderworks, at least in my time on the list. Until the comments made by Rob, that is. Are there other times folks know about the band 'dropping in' or making reference to powderworkers?

curious,

bruce in calgary

---------------------------------

--0-1967048848-1052836715=:4035

<DIV>
<DIV>Good Evening and Welcome to Another Frightening Episode,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I've been pondering the idea that we are perceived by some band members as a scarey bunch.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>It seems to me that the specific reference was made to a time when somebody in OZ showed a thread to members of the band, and the response was that we (workers) were reading way too much into the lyrics. If I'm not mistaken somebody back then had suggested that the Oils weren't playing as many old songs due to a change of heart, or a spiritual awakening, or some such thing. There was actually a flaming debate about the issue, which seemed to arise over the absence of any really old material in the setlists coming up from OZ during the tours of early 2001. The idea was eventually dismissed, but it allegedly raised the ire of some workers and band members. Anybody else remember that thread from about 2 years ago? It definitely would've been unfortunate timing if that was their first and only glimpse into the wooly world of powderworks!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I don't know if the Oils have dropped in for a peek at other times. I know if people were writing stuff about my songs I couldn't resist (being a baser man I'm sure) but if they did drop in recently they might get another fright,&nbsp;given our recent thread on PG's buttocks!! (a cross between sublime and superfluous, IMO BTW)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Anyway, that's the first and&nbsp;only time&nbsp;I remember anybody saying anything about the Oil's perceptions of their cyber fan base here on Powderworks, at least in my time on the list. Until the comments made by Rob, that is. Are there other times folks know about the band 'dropping in' or making reference to powderworkers?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>curious,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
--0-1967048848-1052836715=:4035--