Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re:NMOC - mural and war

Jurriaan thunder7@xs4all.nl
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 09:54:34 +0100

From: Jacques Cuneo <jccuneo@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 12:55:51AM -0600
> Lefty,
>
> Stalin killed 10 million or so during his rule.  Hitler is in the same
> ballpark.  The only reason Saddam isn't right up there is opportunity.

True, but the fact that the USA is _talking_ to North Korea, and has
been giving China 'Most Favoured Trade Nation' status for quite a few
years, and that Irak coincidentally has a lot of oil, and that the USA
has a long, long history of looking the other way if the dictators like
the USA (South America, anyone?) makes me most suspicous of the motives.

I watch a (Dutch) documentary last evening, where citizens of Irak
talked about the revolt in 1991. First the USA promised support, then
they flew overhead while Saddam slaughtered them.

One guy talked about a bridge that was bombed in 1991. It was bombed
during the day, while a lot of people were crossing it. He asked: 'They
could have bombed it at 03:00 in the night, when no people or very few
were crossing it. And I ask myself: is this something against Saddam, or
against the Iraki people?'

All, by the way, were unanimous in never again thrusting the USA after
the 1991 debacle.

Kind regards,
Jurriaan
--
Fire control was manual now. So was the coffeemaker, but with green
smoke gathering under the ceiling, that didn't seem as crucial somehow.