Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC - mural

ninas ninajill73@hotmail.com
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 16:53:39 -0400

on 3/27/03 5:24 PM, LeftyZ@aol.com at LeftyZ@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/27/03 1:03:44 PM, dmanwi@yahoo.com writes:
>
> << I completely agree with Nina.
>
> I don't mind if people of other countries don't like
> America (whatever the reason).  I just don't agree
> with letting dictatitorial governments supressing
> free-speach and abusing human rights.  It is also
> different if a country develops weapons and if they
> actually use them.  I also don' think it is right for
> a government to allow religious groups and the
> educational system to promote hate of other cultures
> and religions. >>
>
> but....but....but......
>
> The question is, even assuming any of what you said is true of Iraq, does
> this justify/lead to the conclusion that some country should kill thousands
> of their soldiers, who knows how many civilians and kids, and level their
> cities -- with a horrible, terrifying war machine that makes that country
> look like the bad guys to most of the rest of the planet?
it's unfortunate that we look like the bad guys, but is that reason to sit
by idly while an evil dictator kills his own people? the civilians and kids
are why we're there in the first place - to help them. did we forget to
mention the humanitarian aid the US is giving out?

> And does it mean WE have to do it?
hmmm... another "not my problem, so why do i have to be involved" answer.
yes, WE have to do it. honestly, what other country is capable? i wish we
didn't have to. i wish nobody had to. i wish there wasn't an issue in the
first place, but there is.

> And does it mean we shouldn't have even attempted more containment and diplom
> acy (and, for god's sake, ANYTHING but WAR) before we became KILLERS?
> Shouldn't a war like this always always always be the last last last resort?

it is the last resort. think sadam was going to negotiate or back down???
did you forget that sadam is the real killer here?