Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] If Ned Kelly Was King...

Tom Spencer tr_espen@yahoo.com.au
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 00:01:11 +1100 (EST)

Dear Miron,

Hello! Thanks for the detailed response.

All very sad but true. Peter Garrett once spoke in an
interview of this melancholy in the Australian psyche,
this feeling that our country is run by a head office
in London. Hence in 'If Ned Kelly Was King' there's a
reference to 'Company cars and efficient Americans'
running around, though I think that many people in
other Coca-Colonies would have the same feeling, as
would many Americans in the US itself, and Israel, as
you mention.

Of course, environmentalist's moves to base Australia
on a 'green' and sustainable economy are a step away
from our present corporate masters, in that we can be
free of the need to expand our economy, and hence
satisfy the 'Standardise and Impoverish' rating (or is
that 'Standard and Poors'?)

(Gonna' prick that bubble in the shopping arcade,
Make amends for the things we've saved)-Ah c'mon- it's
an oils site- gotta' have Oils references!

Tom Spencer

PS What's 'IMO'?

Dear Rodrigo Vronscki Ricardo,

Greetings! It is so sad to see the bombs dropping on
Iraq, let alone to think of the poverty of those
receiving them. So far from this war helping Iraq, it
seems that only in January, several months after Bush
started talking about attacking Iraq, did his
administration start planning for the reconstruction
of Iraq. Similarly, that Bush did not put even one
dollar into this year's budget for helping rebuild
Afghanistan. The US Congress instead had to ask for
$200 million.

Certainly I didn't hear much interest from the Howard
Government in Australia about freeing the people of
Iraq, before free trade with the US became a
possibility.

Tom Spencer

> <perdigao@inf.ufsc.br>
> To: powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
> Subject: Re: [Powderworks] RE: Deputy Dawg>
>
> 	"Feeling important" is for the people. To the
> governments, the
> important is the money. Australia just went to war
> for the same reason
> Turkey, Spain and others are coming in: Everyone
> wants a piece of the
> cake.
> 	It sounds a lot infantile that someone would "free"
> the people of
> a country if it is not lucrative. Hitler used to
> say: The bigger the lie,
> the more people will believe it.
>
> It's sad to see those bombs droping.

=====
Put down that weapon, or we'll all be gone.
You must be crazy, if you think you're strong.
         - Midnight Oil

I disown any ads associated with this email.