Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: Powderworks digest, Vol 1 #1009 - 6 msgs

Beth Curran bcurran@columbus.rr.com
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 13:26:35 -0500

Hi Tom,

We've spent hours at work talking about the Admin, and we're all pretty
puzzled by Powell at present.  ("We" are a group of chemists and
microbiologists, 25 to 50 years old.  Not exactly a representative slice
of America, I suppose) It is clear that he has been responsible for
reining in some of Bush's excesses, possibly due to the fact that
there's no doubt that he would unseat Bush if he declared a presidential
bid.  We also estimate his intelligence level to be about twice that of
any other Cabinet member and a good 3 times that of our esteemed Prez.
Yet we're still wary.  For him to have agreed to an attack on a nation
which has not attacked us is strangely out of character.  Why didn't he
quit rather than be a party to this?  Is it because he's seen enough
evidence to convince him?  Or because he fears the hawks would go
completely out of control if he did?  Or because he's joined the Dark
Side and become a hawk?

One young Friends-educated person in the group, who's a little unworldly
but brings some startling insights into the conversation from time to
time, said that if Powell were in charge, he would have relied on
stepped-up covert operations conducted simultaneously with a public
peace campaign, for which he would have recruited Jimmy Carter.  One of
the two operations would surely have worked.

Bush is losing the support of his own party.  A key factor in the
failure of the Alaska drilling plan was the defection of a prominent
Republican away from the Bush platform.  Another is working to defeat
Bush's tax cuts for the rich.  Re-election on 2004 is not a given, thank
goodness - Beth