Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Heidi Shenk nedkellytheking@hotmail.com
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 09:57:49 -0600

I was aware that David Fricke is an Oils fan, but that surely doesn't speak
for the entire magazine.  As a student in journalism at Syracuse University,
I can be the first to say that just because one staffer of a publication
likes something does not mean that the publication will go with it.  Maybe
David does like the Oils, and who knows maybe he even would like to write
something about it, but when it comes down to it, the editors and publishers
and the money have the final say and in this case, the Oils don't play
shitty enough music to get into the mag.  That's where I come
in...hehehehe...I will obtain an internship at Rolling Stone mag and
infiltrate the system and work my way up to editor and get some good stuff
in that mag.  Well maybe not, but it's a good dream...lol.

Heidi

'Put down that weapon or we'll all be gone,
I must know something to know it's so wrong'
                    -Midnight Oil

----Original Message Follows----
From: ninas <ninajill73@hotmail.com>
To: Heidi Shenk <nedkellytheking@hotmail.com>, <GrnVillageGirl@aol.com>,
<powderworks@cs.colorado.edu>
Subject: Re: [Powderworks] Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 09:41:44 -0400

actually, it's my understanding that rolling stone DOES like the oils - or
at least david frick does. i've seen him at a number of shows in NY and
after one oils show, i chatted with him a bit and i asked him if he was at
the show as a fan or as a reporter. he said he's been a big oils fan for
years and that he was there first as a fan - he's even traveled to europe to
see them.

on 3/17/03 11:37 PM, Heidi Shenk at nedkellytheking@hotmail.com wrote:

 >> but the real power - I gather - lies with Rolling Stone publisher Jann
 >>> Wenner. If he doesn't like you, you ain't getting in, end of story.
 >
 > Haha...if that's the case then the Oils will definitely get into the hall
of
 > fame.  I mean after all Rolling Stone has done such a good job of giving
the
 > Oils soooooo much credit and they obviously love the band sooooo much.
 > Nope...I'm not bitter about that one at all....
 >
 > Heidi
 >

 > 'Put down that weapon or we'll all be gone,
 > I must know something to know it's so wrong'
 > -Midnight Oil

Lenny
 > Kaye (of Patti Smith and "Nuggets" fame), Steve Morse of the Boston
Globe,
 > David Hinckley of the New York Daily News, Phil Spector and many
music-biz
 > luminaries. The co-chairmen are Jon Landau (Springsteen's manager) and
 > Seymour Stein (Sire Records founder), but the real power - I gather -
lies
 > with Rolling Stone publisher Jann Wenner. If he doesn't like you, you
ain't
 > getting in, end of story.
 > The nominating members nominate - the nominees are winnowed down to the
 > usual
 > number - and then are voted on.
 > But there's something screwy about the process, I can tell you firsthand.
 > One
 > year, Iggy and the Stooges were nominated. Think they'd be a shoo-in,
right?
 > Wrong. Not only didn't they get in on the first ballot, but they were
 > eliminated from voting the following year - weren't nominated at all. I
 > wrote
 > it in ("Where's Iggy?!") and still nothing. It's been about three years
now,
 > and that name hasn't come up for voting again.
 > A lot of it, as you can imagine, is a scam - certain nominating members
 > have,
 > shall we say, financial interests in certain artists. Or their back
 > catalogues.
 > However, I do personally know at least a half-dozen of the nominating
 > members, so I plan on putting a bug in their ears about which Australian
 > band
 > should be nominated very soon.
 > My two cents: they'll play "Dead Heart," "Beds" and "Power and the
Passion,"