Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] PG article in Herald Sun

Tari, Vince fstariv1@NMHG.com
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 20:47:14 -0500

http://entertainment.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4459,6625668%255E10431%
255E%255Enbv,00.html

Rocker eyes political return
By Alison Rehn
June 20, 2003

FORMER rock star and long-time conservationist Peter Garrett will decide by
the end of the year whether he will re-enter the political arena.
Speaking to the National Press Club in Canberra, the former senator, front
man for Midnight Oil and president of the Australian Conservation Foundation
outlined a five-point plan for a greener future.

But questions quickly arose about the successful and outspoken rocker's
political ambitions.

"I have been in discussions with political parties, with federal parties and
politicians and also with state politicians," Mr Garrett said.

"Any decision I make about what I'll do in the long term won't happen until
later in the year."

After a quarter of a century, Mr Garrett left Midnight Oil last year.

Mr Garrett, who be came president of the ACF in 1989, told environmentalists
and farming groups the government should introduce a national land and water
repair levy.

The levy would fund what he labels as urgent problems. And he is sure
Australians would not mind paying extra taxes to fix the environment.

Herald Sun