Midnight Oil

FW: [Powderworks] SMOC: Blasphemous Question

Jonathan & Julie Hart midnightoil@videotron.ca
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 23:29:52 -0400

Magnus, I recall you saying that you covered Whoah because you didn't
like the original...?  Well, your version kicks ass.  Perhaps it IS even
better than theirs...

For anyone who doesn't have it, download Magnus's version of Whoah on
the 1st Powderworker Oils Tribute album!

Jonathan Hart
:)

-----Original Message-----
From: powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu
[mailto:powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu] On Behalf Of ALEXEI
Sent: June 10, 2003 4:30 PM
To: powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
Subject: [Powderworks] SMOC: Blasphemous Question (Not Bout Pete)

Throughout my guitar years, I've been playing along to other groups'
records, including MO.  Playing off the cuff, not their parts. Some
songs (especially from the early era) just plain refuse yielding to my
inventiveness and the best I can do is follow with an accurate, but
still a monotony.  On other tracks I may come up with a run-of-the-mill
riff, but on Breathe and especially Capricornia parts are born that fit
very well into the songs, even with all the instrumentation already
there!  I find these two albums very play-along friendly, especially for
guitars.

Questions: do powderworkers who play other instruments (flute, piano,
trumpet, oboe, drums etc.) find it fascinating to play along with the
Oils?  if you do, what tracks yield best to your instrument?  HAVE YOU
EVER COME UP WITH A PART THAT YOU LIKE BETTER THAN AN ORIGINAL OIL PART?

Alexei