Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Peter leaving the band - long ramblings

Miron Mizrahi mironmizrahi@yahoo.com
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 12:16:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

maybe Pete wrote none of the lyrics or the music. Presidents and
National Leaders don't write their speeches either. yet, they ARE
the speech by virtue of their presence and charisma and delivery.
Pete IS every Oils song for the exact same reason. and Pete wouldn't
be Pete or the Oils be the Oils without Pete's ego. I think they all
know that but I would be surprised if any of them resented that. I
think that they are all as bummed as we are. let's face it - it is
much harder to be an Oily than an Oily fan. so if they soldiered on
for so long they must have had as much love for the band as we did.
true - they all made enough money to live comfortably, but none of
them is a gazillionaire. in most of the places we all live in, 50%
of marriages end up in separation. not that I am comparing marriage
to being in a band but this is 5 people trying to get on, not 2.

I remember reading the SMH on the way back from work some time after
the Breathe record. the Oils were taking time off, it said -
indefinitely. I thought it was going to be the end then. luckily, it
was not.

not sure why the REM comparison was drawn. Bill Berry left because
he was very sick. but REM is not the same REM without him, even
though they continue to exist. it is not the same Who without Keith
Moon, it is not the same Stones without Bill Wyman and it is not the
same Oils without Giffo. and it won't be without Pete - no matter
what Rob says or who writes the music. it won't be a better or worse
Oils. just different. I sure hope the rest of the band will continue
to work together, since it is now clear to me that at least for Rob
and Jim, music is their passion. in hindsight it was never the case
for Pete and in this respect, I think the Oils were doomed to break
up.

I don't know what is Pete's motivation for leaving the band. I doubt
it is the hectic life style. if he thinks politics will be any
smoother he is in for a nasty surprise, but I doubt he thinks that.
I also don't see him resting on his laurels for too long. whatever
it is I respect his decision. I do not respect the manner in which
it was executed and frankly I think he is wrong. I would venture to
say that no matter what Pete does, he wants to make a difference and
have an impact. being part of this community has taught me that the
impact he has had on us, as part of the Oils, which we will pass on
to our children and friends, is far greater in my mind than what he
can achieve elsewhere.

=====
Miron

   How could people get so unkind?