Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Continuing with the Band

Familia Sirerol rbonastre@eresmas.com
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 18:42:59 +0200

Well, Rob and Jim are the backbone.....but I canīt imagine the Oils without
Martin and his guitar fury on stage...and he has co-written great songs like
Tin Legs, Written in the heart, Lucky Country, Scream in Blue, Weddingcake
Island, Armistice day, Knifeīs Edge, Renaissance Man, Blue Sky Mine, Stand
in Line...
.....or without Bones great vocals....

:-)

----- Original Message -----
From: <tfrommer@mindspring.com>
To: <powderworks@cs.colorado.edu>
Sent: Saturday, June 07, 2003 5:21 AM
Subject: [Powderworks] Continuing with the Band

> (wow two posts from me in a week after nearly none in years)
>
> I've been very intrigued and interested in people's thoughts regarding the
post-PG version of the band and particularly David's comment on "what if
someone else had left the band?" I'm still waiting arrival of Rob's book
here in the States so I can't comment on being able to read between the
lines. I do recall one show when prior to playing a cover, PG said it was
one of the few "non-Hirst/Moginie compositions of the evening." After 20+
years, it seems to me that everyone knew his role within the band.

> In light of the usual half-life of bands, that MO existed for 25 years is
remarkable. I recall Justin Sullivan of New Model Army commenting after
original drummer Rob Heaton left the group that being in a band makes you
closer than brothers but not always friends. Perhaps that describes Rob's
feeling when he wrote the book, and now during the press tour.

> I could see the band having continued to make music and call it Midnight
Oil if someone other than PG left. He was the public's face for the band
regardless of his songwriting contribution. To the vast, uninformed majority
(i.e. not we powderworkers), had Bones or Martin left, I could easily have
seen the band continuing. How about REM? "If any of us leaves, it's not
REM." Well, Bill Berry left two albums ago and they're still REM to most.
Had it been Stipe, there wouldn't be an REM today.