Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Oily guitars (was Capricornia Dreaming)

Bruce Robertson the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 16:18:29 -0500 (EST)

--0-1134897191-1043183909=:66656

Greetings Martin fans (Rotsey and/or guitars)
Great post about the 'Oils doing their things with guitars that sing'...I always think acoustically when I hear that line on TRT - (thanks Damien). Have to give Concrete another careful 'earing.
That Martin sounds like some sweet old prize indeed (the guitar!!), and Damiens' gotta be one lucky dog getting his paws on it - to say nothing of moving in such circles   :)
The 000 is the perfect sized body for squeezing, and they're beautifully voiced, and get sweeter and fuller over time. I've got a  000-21 of WW1 vintage, and it's so resonant that it's now ridiculously loud. The wide string spacing makes it perfect for picking out 'Short Memory', 'Dead Heart' and the likes, and oh - Whoa sounds fabulosa... Enough ranting! Here we worry less about hot car trunks, and more about minus 27 degree wind chill (like today.) Definitely an indoor guitar. If you're ever in Cowtown, drop me a note and you can give her a squeeze.
THanks again for the details, and happy strumming. If you hear it on any other tracks, let me know.
Cheers,
bruce in calgary

"There out to be a law with no bail
Smash a guitar and you go to jail
With no chance for early parole
You don't get out till you get some soul
Oh it breaks my heart to see those stars
Smash a perfectly good guitar"  ~ John Hiatt  :)
 [name removed] <example@example.com> wrote:
Yes This Martin acoustic is Robs and i have played it
and i did not want to give it back to him!. It's from
the 1940's and is very small though it sounds so
huge!. It has been used by the other boys on Oils
songs too, i think Martin (Rotsey! not the guitar!)
used it on Cemetry In My Mind if i'm not mistaken.
When we play together Rob always lets me use his
Martin and he just plays his black Maton that he uses
at Ghosties gigs!. I did tell him off one day for
leaving it in the boot of his car on a hot day for
about an hour!, i said you don't deserve a guitar
like that if your going to keep it in a hot car boot!.
This acoustic guitar is the coolest i have ever
played and i would sell my first born for it! without
a doubt! it's that easy for me to decide for this
guitar.

you know reminding me of it is giveing me a
huge Homer moment!.

arhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! drool!

Damien.

wrote:

>A: "A Martin Triple O-18
>

>---------------------------------
>Post your free ad now! Yahoo! Canada Personals

---------------------------------

--0-1134897191-1043183909=:66656

<P>Greetings Martin fans (Rotsey and/or guitars)
<P>Great&nbsp;post about the 'Oils doing their things with guitars that sing'...I always think acoustically when I hear that line on TRT - (thanks Damien). Have to give Concrete another careful 'earing.
<P>That Martin sounds like some sweet old prize indeed (the guitar!!), and Damiens' gotta be one lucky dog getting his paws on it - to say nothing of moving in such circles&nbsp;&nbsp; :)
<P>The 000 is the perfect sized body for squeezing, and they're&nbsp;beautifully voiced, and get sweeter and fuller over time. I've got a&nbsp; 000-21 of WW1 vintage, and&nbsp;it's so resonant that it's now ridiculously loud.&nbsp;The wide string spacing makes it perfect for picking out 'Short Memory', 'Dead Heart' and the likes, and oh - Whoa sounds fabulosa... Enough ranting! Here we worry less about hot car trunks, and more about minus 27 degree wind chill (like today.) Definitely an indoor guitar. If you're ever in Cowtown, drop me a note and you&nbsp;can give her a squeeze.
<P>THanks again for the details, and happy strumming. If you hear it on any other tracks, let&nbsp;me know.
<P>Cheers,
<P>bruce in calgary
<P>&nbsp;
<DT>"There out to be a law with no bail
<DT>Smash a guitar and you go to jail
<DT>With no chance for early parole
<DT>You don't get out till you get some soul</DT>
<DT>Oh it breaks my heart to see those stars</DT>
<DT>Smash a perfectly good guitar"&nbsp; ~ John Hiatt&nbsp; :)</DT>
<P>&nbsp;<B><I>[name removed] &lt;example@example.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"><BR>Yes This Martin acoustic is Robs and i have played it<BR>and i did not want to give it back to him!. It's from<BR>the 1940's and is very small though it sounds so<BR>huge!. It has been used by the other boys on Oils<BR>songs too, i think Martin (Rotsey! not the guitar!)<BR>used it on Cemetry In My Mind if i'm not mistaken.<BR>When we play together Rob always lets me use his<BR>Martin and he just plays his black Maton that he uses<BR>at Ghosties gigs!. I did tell him off one day for<BR>leaving it in the boot of his car on a hot day for<BR>about an hour!, i said you don't deserve a guitar<BR>like that if your going to keep it in a hot car boot!.<BR>This acoustic guitar is the coolest i have ever<BR>played and i would sell my first born for it! without<BR>a doubt! it's that easy for me to decide for this<BR>guitar.<BR><BR>you know reminding me of it is giveing me a<BR>huge Homer moment!.<BR><BR>arhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! drool!<BR><BR>Damien.<BR><BR><BR><BR>&gt;From: Bruce Robertson <THE_OIL_FISH@YAHOO.CA><BR>&gt;To: powderworks@cs.colorado.edu<BR>&gt;Subject: [Powderworks] Oily guitars (was Capricornia Dreaming)<BR>&gt;Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 16:58:46 -0500 (EST)<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Hi Workers,<BR>&gt;Does anybody know anything about this Martin triple 0 that Rob mentions in <BR>&gt;the interview? They're the coolest little concert style Martins' ever - a <BR>&gt;sweet midrangy compressed and warm tone and LOUD little buggers - anybody <BR>&gt;got details on the one the Oils use? And maybe even on what tracks? And who <BR>&gt;owns it?<BR>&gt;Thanks if anybody can help.<BR>&gt;bruce in calgary<BR>&gt; pete mellor <PETE_MELLOR@HOTMAIL.COM>wrote:<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;A: "A Martin Triple O-18<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;---------------------------------<BR>&gt;Post your free ad now! Yahoo! Canada Personals<BR><BR><BR>_________________________________________________________________<BR>Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Ge
--0-1134897191-1043183909=:66656--