Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] [NMOC] Canberra fires.

Kate Parker Adams kate@dnki.net
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 12:44:35 -0500

Prayers for rain and for the diversion of the red waves from people coming
from this coast of the US too ... If only I could send you some of this
bone-breaking cold and piled up snow to slow things down.

My family fled a firestorm in Eastern Oregon when I was five ... our home
was spared, but the neighborhood three blocks beyond was burned beyond
recognition, rubble tossed, trees tumbled and streets melted into the
ground.  I well remember the day before we fled - darkening skies, cinder
rain, choking smoke, and the glowing red blobs moving into the valley at
night.  I get the alkali sting of yellowed clouds of air-dropped borate in
my nose just thinking about it.  I think this is where I learned a lifelong
respect for the awesome power of nature encompassing the human sphere as
well as a sense of nature out-of-balance (not to mention enduring
pyrophobia).

Canberra workers and your neighbors and families, I wish you all the best
luck and weather and safety in this terrifying time.

Kate