Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] CD-R's dying

David A. Brass amt4all@yahoo.com
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 08:27:20 -0800 (PST)

--0-842079389-1046190440=:8514

On the question of DVD's "dying"...I noticed that DVD-R and RWs are constructed the same way as CD-Rs...clear acrylic w/ thin metal (usually aluminum) backing covered w/ paint or enamel.  I would assume the same problems could happen.  However...corporate DVDs (movie releases etc) seem to be a double sided format w/ strangely enough...side two identical to side one....sometimes the "making of" video will be there instead.
  Close inspection of one of those seems to be...the thin metal sandwiched between 2 clear acrylic disks.  Actually, molded this way...rather than assembled.  that "sealing" of the metal from air would mean lack of oxidation or separation.  So, these disks may have a very long life...
David A. Brass  Arcata, California
 Matthew Cowdery <mcowd@mars.ocs.mq.edu.au> wrote:Following on from the thread the other week about CD's oxidising and becoming pretty much RS after 10 years ...... Does this mean the same is likely to happen with DVD's. I'm assuming it does. Matt

--0-842079389-1046190440=:8514

<P>On the question of DVD's "dying"...I noticed that DVD-R and RWs are constructed the same way as CD-Rs...clear acrylic w/ thin metal (usually aluminum) backing covered w/ paint or enamel.&nbsp; I would assume the same problems could happen.&nbsp; However...corporate DVDs (movie releases&nbsp;etc) seem to be a double sided format w/ strangely enough...side two identical to side one....sometimes the "making of" video will be there instead.
<P>&nbsp; Close inspection of one of those seems to be...the thin metal sandwiched between 2 clear acrylic disks.&nbsp; Actually,&nbsp;molded this way...rather than assembled.&nbsp; that "sealing" of the metal from air would mean lack of oxidation&nbsp;or separation.&nbsp; So, these disks may have a very long life...
<P>David&nbsp;A. Brass&nbsp;&nbsp;Arcata, California&nbsp;&nbsp;
<P>&nbsp;<B><I>Matthew Cowdery &lt;mcowd@mars.ocs.mq.edu.au&gt;</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<STYLE></STYLE>

<DIV><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Following on from the thread the other week about CD's oxidising and becoming pretty much RS after 10 years ......</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Tahoma size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Does this mean the same is likely to happen with DVD's. I'm assuming it does.</FONT></DIV>