Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Looking for shows...(and)...bootlegging adventures...

David A. Brass amt4all@yahoo.com
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 12:09:56 -0800 (PST)

--0-1736422232-1045685396=:15490

I passed up recording the Hollywood 3-21-2002 show due to the use of metal detectors at the door but, did observe the searches and figured out ways around this...
Later on, at the Portland Roseland Theatre 5-9-2002, they were using the airport type walk-through metal detectors so, I had to put my new contingency plan in effect.
Attached to the Roseland Theatre is the Roseland Cafe...where you can dine, have a few drinks, etc. before showtime.  So, 1/2 hour before the show entry started I went into the cafe then to the bathroom and stashed my recording gear in the trashcan(!!!).  I then went outside and broke into the front of the line (sorry, everyone but, I got $600 or so of eq in a trash can I had better get to...and fast).  Went through the metal detectors (totally clean) then to retrieve my eq. (still there...thank god!!!) and then into the show.  A very desparate move on my part that work out very well.
Sometimes a venue has a in/out policy and rarely check the people returning...that is another way to get past the metal detectors...could have done this at Hollywood but, would have missed the 1st two songs or so.  They did not start the in/out's until after MidOil was on.  Another way walk up to security with your cellphone in one hand and the eq. in the sleeve of your jacket (same hand as the cellphone is in).  They will pass up going over that hand (hold it way out) since the cellphone is obviously going to set it off...that worked for a friend recently at a NMOC show.
The SF Warfeild theatre pats down very hard but, they stop at the knees so...can get into that one by stashing the eq in my socks at the ankles.
At any rate...if in doubt...watch the security doing their checks and you will find a flaw to take advantage of...I also have an "expendable attitude" when it come to my eq. since I have already gotten so much use out of it and this attitude resulted in my recording at point blank range (dead center...right up front) whereever possible...
All the other places (esp. the rest of the Western Can-Am and US midwest tours)were no problem at all...
PS...am being delayed in CD-R copying...very bad weather has made access to my CD-R collection impossible...can not open my storage locker without a deluge ruining all the stereo eq. in there...will start next Monday...sooner, if possible...
David A. Brass  Arcata, California
 The Oilman <TheOilman@new.rr.com> wrote:Jacques, where's your sense of adventure, heck they had pat down AND metal
detectors at one of the shows in Chicago!

Oilman

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jacques Cuneo"
To: ;

Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 6:54 PM
Subject: Re: [Powderworks] Looking for shows

> James,
>
> I second the call for the New Orleans Show. I was there as well (got a
> setlist, too ;-).
>
> The one thing I do remember is that they patted everyone down before you
> could go in. Kinda glad I didn't try to bring anything like that in.
> Maybe someone braver than I did.
>
> The encore with Will Hoge and the Oils is something I will remember for a
> long, long time. A very nice memory to remember the band by.
>
> Take care.
>
> Jacques
>
> >Hello all. I was just wondering if anyone out there might have these two
> shows I'm looking for. They are the only two shows of the Oils I attended
> that I haven't been able to get copies of. The first (which was my first
> ever Oils show) is St. Louis Riverport Ampitheater in September of '93. I
> don't know the exact date. The second is New Orleans House Of Blues on
> Nov. 11, 2001. This was an awesome show where the Oils brought opening
> band Will Hogg out for the final song where the jammed together Neil
> Young's "Keep On Rockin' In The Free World." I still have the lyric sheet
> they put on stage for it! Sweat stains and all from the dripping Peter.
> Memories...
> >
> >If anyone has either of these, please contact me off list.
> >James
--0-1736422232-1045685396=:15490

<P>I passed up recording the Hollywood 3-21-2002 show due to the use of metal detectors at the door but, did observe the searches and figured out ways around this...
<P>Later on, at the Portland Roseland Theatre 5-9-2002, they were using the airport type walk-through metal detectors so, I had to put&nbsp;my new contingency plan in effect.&nbsp;
<P>Attached to the Roseland Theatre is the Roseland Cafe...where you can dine, have a few drinks, etc. before showtime.&nbsp; So,&nbsp;1/2 hour before the&nbsp;show entry started&nbsp;I went into the cafe then to the bathroom and stashed my recording gear in the trashcan(!!!).&nbsp; I then went outside and&nbsp;broke into the front of the line (sorry, everyone but, I got $600 or so of eq in a trash can I had better get to...and fast).&nbsp; Went through the metal detectors (totally clean) then to retrieve my eq. (still there...thank god!!!) and&nbsp;then into the show.&nbsp;&nbsp;A very desparate move on my part that work out very well.
<P>Sometimes a venue has a in/out policy and rarely check the people returning...that is another way to get past the metal detectors...could have done this at Hollywood but, would have missed the 1st two songs or so.&nbsp; They did not start the in/out's until after MidOil was on.&nbsp; Another way walk up to security with your cellphone in one hand and the eq.&nbsp;in the sleeve of your jacket (same hand as the cellphone is in).&nbsp; They will pass up going over that hand (hold it way out) since the cellphone is obviously going to set it off...that worked for a friend recently at a NMOC show.
<P>The SF Warfeild theatre pats down very hard but, they stop at the knees so...can get into that one by stashing the eq in my socks at the ankles.
<P>At any rate...if in doubt...watch the security doing their checks and you will find a flaw to take advantage of...I also have an "expendable attitude" when it come to my eq. since I have already gotten so much use out of it and this attitude resulted in my recording at point blank range (dead center...right up front) whereever possible...
<P>All the other places (esp. the rest of the Western Can-Am and US midwest tours)were no problem at all...
<P>PS...am being delayed in CD-R copying...very bad weather has made access to my CD-R collection impossible...can not open my storage locker without a deluge ruining all the stereo eq. in there...will start next Monday...sooner, if possible...
<P>David A. Brass&nbsp; Arcata, California&nbsp;
<P>&nbsp;<B><I>The Oilman &lt;TheOilman@new.rr.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">Jacques, where's your sense of adventure, heck they had pat down AND metal<BR>detectors at one of the shows in Chicago!<BR><BR>Oilman<BR><BR>----- Original Message -----<BR>From: "Jacques Cuneo" <JCCUNEO@BELLSOUTH.NET><BR>To: <JAMESBURNEYU2@AOL.COM>; <POWDERWORKS@CS.COLORADO.EDU><BR>Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 6:54 PM<BR>Subject: Re: [Powderworks] Looking for shows<BR><BR><BR>&gt; James,<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; I second the call for the New Orleans Show. I was there as well (got a<BR>&gt; setlist, too ;-).<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; The one thing I do remember is that they patted everyone down before you<BR>&gt; could go in. Kinda glad I didn't try to bring anything like that in.<BR>&gt; Maybe someone braver than I did.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; The encore with Will Hoge and the Oils is something I will remember for a<BR>&gt; long, long time. A very nice memory to remember the band by.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Take care.<!
BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Jacques<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;Hello all. I was just wondering if anyone out there might have these two<BR>&gt; shows I'm looking for. They are the only two shows of the Oils I attended<BR>&gt; that I haven't been able to get copies of. The first (which was my first<BR>&gt; ever Oils show) is St. Louis Riverport Ampitheater in September of '93. I<BR>&gt; don't know the exact date. The second is New Orleans House Of Blues on<BR>&gt; Nov. 11, 2001. This was an awesome show where the Oils brought opening<BR>&gt; band Will Hogg out for the final song where the jammed together Neil<BR>&gt; Young's "Keep On Rockin' In The Free World." I still have the lyric sheet<BR>&gt; they put on stage for it! Sweat stains and all from the dripping Peter.<BR>&gt; Memories...<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;If anyone has either of these, please contact me off list.<BR>&gt; &gt;James<BR>&gt; &gt;_______________________________________________<BR>&gt; &gt;Powderworks mailing list<BR>&gt; &gt!
/shop?d=browse&id=20146735">Yahoo! Shopping</a> - Send Flowers for Valentine's Day
--0-1736422232-1045685396=:15490--