Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] what ever happened to my letter to RS

jccuneo@mail.bellsouth.net jccuneo@mail.bellsouth.net
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 19:14:52 -0600

Heidi,

Have some heart - the lead time for publishing is pretty long.  Maybe next
month.

As far as your comment on the state of music, you hit the nail on the
head.  Its amazing how the record companies bitch about falling revenue
when all they put out now is pre-rehearsed, canned, synthesized,
repetitive, soulless drivel aimed at the 8-13 year old set.  Perhaps people
are tiring of it.

When an artist like Dave Matthews can't land a recording contract, you know
the record companies are bleedin' clueless.  When you see some good music
get recognition, like the soundtrack to "O Brother where Art Thou", and the
record companies respond with shock - "What the hell is Bluegrass?" you
know they are completely, utterly freakin' clueless.

I *do* believe, though, that there is a good bit of good music out there,
it is just harder to get at.  I am listening to "Olympic Record" at present
(Rob's official album for the Sydney Olympics) - it is excellent.

Don't know if you like them much, but the new Hootie and the Blowfish is
coming out in March.  Decent band.  Hootie, in fact, rendered by far the
best recording of the National Anthem I have ever heard (at a World Series
game a couple years ago).  The man can flat out sing.

Take care.

Jacques