Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] The Worst Midnight Oil Song/Bakerman

Greg Henderson vorrox at maxis.net.my
Wed Dec 10 22:25:09 MST 2003

In all fairness, I tend to agree about Bakerman. I only mentioned
Bakerman because it's probably the most politcally correct suggestion -
it's the least Oilish of all the Oils toonz, thus the least likely to
cause newbie backlash :) I'm a bit sensitive y'know y'know ...

A few people have mentioned Capricornia - I'd be more inclined to go
with a song like that. Capricornia seems to be the culmination of a
gathering lyrical rot that first appeared on Red Sails - a stiffness in
the way the words and music worked together, a dorky earnestness to get
meaning into the song. There was such an ingenious flow before Red
Sails, even on songs where the lyrics weren't so intelligible, they
invariably flowed and *sounded* cool. Something musta happened in Japan
... not to say that they lost their lyricflow altogether after Red Sails
- certainly not - just that this other 'stiff' thing seemed to arrive.
Set up those gunsights in HG Wells backyard. Capricornia, for me, is the
culmination of this thing.

Yours brazenly opinionatedly ....

:)