Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] on oils-withdrawal

Tom Davies minuteparticular@yahoo.com.au
Wed, 6 Aug 2003 03:47:38 +1000 (EST)

--0-1943565849-1060105658=:72868

following up on a couple of recent messages on feelings of withdrawal and loss...

A while ago, I lost my copy of SiB, and yesterday I bought a new one. Hearing it again was nothing short of miraculous -- almost like hearing stuff I'd never heard before, especially some of the underlying noises in the first track, perhaps because I was playing it on a different player than I used to... but I was so caught up in the enjoyment of the sounds at that moment, that I wasn't even thinking about the fact that the band has broken up...

Most of the greatest artists in history are long gone, but that doesn't stop us from having living, vital experiences with the stuff they created while they were around, be it literature or painting or music or whatever. I can still take the same kind of joy from Midnight Oil that I get from reading Tolkien or Blake, or listening to Beethoven -- and that's pretty damn great joy.

And then there's the enjoyment of introducing someone new to Oils music. A few weeks ago, I gave an Oils mixtape to a girl I've been dating. Now I get all warm and happy when she sings bits of Barest Degree and Comfortable Place on the Couch. (It makes me think, by the way, that some band with a female singer should cover some Oils songs... imagine, for instance, the harmonies in One Country coming from two contrasting female voices.)

Eternity is in love with the productions of time.

William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

Yahoo! Personals
- New people, new possibilities! Try Yahoo! Personals, FREE for a limited period!
--0-1943565849-1060105658=:72868

<DIV>following up on a couple of recent messages on feelings of withdrawal and loss...</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>A while ago, I lost my copy of SiB, and yesterday I bought a new one. Hearing it again was nothing short of miraculous -- almost like hearing stuff I'd never heard before, especially some of the underlying noises in the first track, perhaps because I was playing it on a different player than I used to... but I was so caught up in the enjoyment of the sounds at that moment, that I wasn't even thinking about the fact that the band has broken up...</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Most of the greatest artists in history are long gone, but that doesn't stop us from having living, vital experiences with the stuff they created while they were around, be it literature or painting or music or whatever. I can still take the same kind of joy from Midnight Oil that I get from reading Tolkien or Blake, or listening to Beethoven -- and that's pretty damn great joy.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>