Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: starving for gossip

GrnVillageGirl@aol.com GrnVillageGirl@aol.com
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 22:36:07 EDT

--part1_179.1e0d1899.2c607217_boundary

Well, I haven't too much gossip, I'm afraid. Missed my chance to see Bones
while he was recording in upstate New York with the Finns; now he's gone back
home. Might have gotten some good dish out of him if a few pints had been poured
down his neck first.
But I can say that "Fibromoon" is, IMHO, the best Ghosties album. I really
liked the first, wasn't terribly mad about "Second Skin," but I just love the
third. Would highly recommend it to anyone, especially "Neon Garden," which Rob
called his attempt at Phil Spector (as a producer, mind you, minus the
insanity and the gunplay).
Wish they'd put out some more music. Frankly, I'm fonder of the Ghosties than
I am of the Backsliders. I love blues, but I'm biased towards Chicago
electric, a la Elmore James (original inspiration for Brian Jones, hence the early
Stones) and old Delta acoustic stuff. Something about the Backsliders just
doesn't speak to me in quite the same way, as hard as I've tried to love them.
I was just watching a video of some Aus TV appearances of the Oils that a
mate had sent me, and I confess I'm still having terribly mixed feelings. I find
the very idea that they're no longer extant as a band is upsetting and
depressing. I'm trying to be grateful that we had 'em at all, for as long as we did,
but a world without that group intact as a unit seems so much bleaker than it
did before. We, or I at least, am in dire need these days of the inspiration,
courage, compassion and commitment they always exemplified. The planet is a
much scarier, uglier place these days and there's no one that can take their
place.
Am I the only one having such withdrawal symptoms so far down this road?

--part1_179.1e0d1899.2c607217_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#ffffff"><FONT  style=
=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial"=20=
LANG=3D"0">Well, I haven't too much gossip, I'm afraid. Missed my chance to=20=
see Bones while he was recording in upstate New York with the Finns; now he'=
s gone back home. Might have gotten some good dish out of him if a few pints=
 had been poured down his neck first.<BR>
But I can say that "Fibromoon" is, IMHO, the best Ghosties album. I really l=
iked the first, wasn't terribly mad about "Second Skin," but I just love the=
 third. Would highly recommend it to anyone, especially "Neon Garden," which=
 Rob called his attempt at Phil Spector (as a producer, mind you, minus the=20=
insanity and the gunplay).<BR>
Wish they'd put out some more music. Frankly, I'm fonder of the Ghosties tha=
n I am of the Backsliders. I love blues, but I'm biased towards Chicago elec=
tric, a la Elmore James (original inspiration for Brian Jones, hence the ear=
ly Stones) and old Delta acoustic stuff. Something about the Backsliders jus=
t doesn't speak to me in quite the same way, as hard as I've tried to love t=
hem.<BR>
I was just watching a video of some Aus TV appearances of the Oils that a ma=
te had sent me, and I confess I'm still having terribly mixed feelings. I fi=
nd the very idea that they're no longer extant as a band is upsetting and de=
pressing. I'm trying to be grateful that we had 'em at all, for as long as w=
e did, but a world without that group intact as a unit seems so much bleaker=
 than it did before. We, or I at least, am in dire need these days of the in=
spiration, courage, compassion and commitment they always exemplified. The p=
lanet is a much scarier, uglier place these days and there's no one that can=
 take their place.<BR>
Am I the only one having such withdrawal symptoms so far down this road?<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_179.1e0d1899.2c607217_boundary--