Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] ANZAC Day

Anna Offler aoffler@iprimus.com.au
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 23:49:58 +0930

And who can forget the words of Redgum about Nam.
"And the Anzac legends didn't mention mud and blood and tears
And the stories that my father told me never seemed quite real.
I caught some pieces in my back that I didn't even feel
God help me, I was only nineteen"
I was lucky as I missed the lottery by a year or two. Others didnt and lots
of them still can't forget lest we do.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them.
Lew
-----Original Message-----
From: powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu
[mailto:powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu]On Behalf Of Jon Reisenweaver
Sent: Friday, 25 April 2003 10:28 PM
To: Powderworks
Subject: [Powderworks] ANZAC Day

Just a thought from a lurker HITS that respects all survivors---

Alec Campbell, the last known survivor of the ANZAC forces at Gallipoli
(and the last known survivor of Gallipoli) died on Thursday, May 16, 2002 at
the age of 103.

Mr. Campbell enlisted at 16, and served at Gallipoli in 1915.
He led Hobart's ANZAC Day parade three weeks prior to his death.

And the band plays Waltzing Matilda
And the old men answer to the call
But year after year their numbers get fewer
Some day no one will march there at all

Jon-
--
Jon Reisenweaver                            Computer Analyst
<http://www.uvm.edu/~jmlr/>            MCSV Server Administrator