Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] ANZAC Day

Brian Jacobs suncrush@lycos.com
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 21:09:19 +1200

I'm writing this to encourage all of you living in Australia and New Zealand to attend an ANZAC Day service this week.

Remember, a lot of young lads, a lot younger than you and I, who had their heads full of hopes and dreams went off to foreign shores and never came home.  A lot of mothers, wives and children waited and waited for that letter that never came.

Those brave men and woman saved the world.  If not for their willingness to sacrifice, you and I would be living in fascist lands now.

You don't have to agree with the reasons the war was fought.  I don't agree with all of them.  But when those boys from Woolloomoolloo and the Canterbury Plains were told to storm the beaches of Gallipoli, or fell at Isandhlwana, or in the jungles of Viet Nam they weren't given much choice.  I choose to remember them, and thank God that because of their sacrifice, I don't have to put my life on the line.

It is important to remember this year especially, as in various places around the world, white marble panels inscribed "May this never be filled" are being removed so that more names can be added to an already-too-long wall.

So, wear your poppy.  Wear it with pride at the courage of your countrymen, and let a tear roll down your cheek as you remember all those mothers' sons who lie beneath stark white crosses in a foreign land.

I remember.

I will never forget.

Brian