Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC: Keeping things in perspective

Margaret Benzer benzer@mail.mc.maricopa.edu
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 09:17:56 -0700

On Monday, I wrote, complaining about an over-demanding faculty member.  I wish
I could say things have gotten better, but I have learned from many people on
this list and from a fellow lab tech that sometimes one has to change one's
perspective.  My first one arrived Tuesday at 5:00 p.m.  The other was
yesterday afternoon.

For those of you on the list who have never had to raise an orphaned animal,
you might not relate to this.  But one of the women in my townhouse complex
brought me an almost-four-week-old kitten.  It is malnourished too.  It had
been found at her workplace in a hopper that had just been emptied into a
cardboard box crusher.  At least he was rescued.  But now my life has something
else more important than myself to worry about.  Who cares about somebody at
work who makes unreasonable demands?  This kitten is relying on me for
everything:  food, warmth, stimulation to eliminate waste, cleaning.
Fortunately, weaning is just around the corner, but in the meantime at least my
boss is good about me having the kitten at work so long as it doesn't interfer
with my job.  Then again, I guess he is getting used to the fact that the
groundskeepers are always bringing the injured and orphaned birds to me too.

Yesterday afternoon, one of the other lab techs gave me another thing to think
about to keep things in perspective:  She just found out that one of the girls
she grew up with in Montana is the grandmother of one of the POWs rescued last
Sunday.  And the poor POW had to find out from his family that his sister had
died during the time he was being held captive.  In other words, that family
nearly lost two children in a short time.  So what do she or I have to complain
about?

By the way, I am also happy to see that The Real Thing VCD is making its way
around the globe.  I am in the process of getting a few more concerts to
convert over.  I may make some more copies this weekend of TRT, so keep on eye
on the list next week. :-)

Margaret

WHY WORRY?

There are only two things in life to worry about:
Either you are well or you are sick.
If you are well, there is nothing to worry about.
But, if you are sick...

There are only two things to worry about:
Either you will get better or you will die.
If you get better, there is nothing to worry about.
But, if you die...

There are only two things to worry about:
Either you will go to Heaven or you will go to Hell.
If you go to Heaven, there is nothing to worry about.
But, if you go to Hell...

You'll be so busy meeting old friends
You won't have time to worry.