Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Reds, whites, blues

Tom Spencer tr_espen@yahoo.com.au
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 12:23:56 +1000 (EST)

Dear Dave,

First, as for political comment on a Midnight Oil
site, the band itself never distinguished political
comment from its music.

Second, your extending shouting and abuse suggests
that you didn't really have much to say, which turns
out to be the case upon closer inspection.

Third, to harp upon the fact that America, like other
civilised countries, allows free speech, is to sink to
one hell of a low. Why only compare the US to
dictatorships where you can't speak freely? Why not
compare Bush's US to other free countries, or even to
the best of America, like the first pilgrims'
statements about 'a light on the hill' or the US
Constitution, or the Declaration of Independence, or
the Gettysburg Address by Abraham Lincoln or Martin
Luther King's dream of America - all the undeniably
great statements about America?

I think it's because you've forgotten or don't know
about the best of America, let alone about the best
side of other countries, and so you don't realise how
low Bush-Wolfowitz-Rumsfeld has brought America and
American prestige in the world. After 9-11 even
France's national daily said 'We are all American'.
Now, anyone inside or outside the US who has the
courage to stand up to the one superpower is telling
it to 'settle, petal'.

Tom S.

> From: "Dave Weinert" <dcd6575@hotmail.com>
> To: powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
> Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:21:42 -0400
> Subject: [Powderworks] boycott american products

---------------------------------

BOYCOTT AMERICAN PROCUCTS????

WHO EVER STARTED THIS FAILED HISTORY- NO PEACEFUL
NATION ON THE PLANET HAS HAD A BETTER FRIEND THAN THE
USA.

WANNA SEE THE WORLD GO TO HELL IN A HAND BASKET- IF
THE USA CALLED IN EVERY LOAN TO EVERY COUNTRY IN THE
WORLD THAT BORROWED FROM US-- GOOD BYE WORLD!!!!!!

KISS MY RED, WHITE AND BLUE, FREEDOM LOVING @$$

BE GLAD YOU CAN WRITE THESE THINGS AND YOU DON'T LIVE
IN A COUNTRY THAT WOULD LOP YOUR HEAD OFF AND YOUR
FAMILIES IF YOU QUESTIONED OR SAID ANYTHING BAD ABOUT
YOUR COUNTRIES DICTATOR!!!!! ----IDIOT--- I PROTEST
THE PROTESTERS WHO FORGOT WHO GAVE THEM THE FREEDOM TO
PROTEST!!!!!!!!

Forgive me sensible pworkers- I hardly ever write in
but had to say something.