Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] VLMOC: anti-Americanism, so-called

Bruce Robertson the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 18:50:02 -0400 (EDT)

--0-83753746-1050447002=:43623

Greetings Workers of the World,
Appreciated the recent posts on this thread from down under - always good to hear a kind of southern view. Thanks Tom, Joffa, et al.
On the Oils being anti-American, aren't we more interested in understanding what the Oils are FOR? I'm no rocket surgeon, but figuring out what's wrong with the world comes pretty easy to me, and I assume most of us. 'Where do we go from here'  would be a more pressing - and promising - question IMO.
Regarding anti-Americanism: is the glass half full or half empty? We recognize the atrocities commited (as Kate mentioned with Dr. Allende) and we also see the good that America has done. Do we have to turn every discussion into a pissing contest?
I'm done. Sorry this should have gone to powderpolitics by rights.
cheers from true north,
bruce in calgary
"We sure need the stone age
 In the coming century."
 Tom Davies <minuteparticular@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
I want to add a little bit to the discussion around "anti-Americanism," since Felipe has called MO an anti-American band and others have thoroughly rejected the idea.
What is "anti-Americanism," anyway? Sometimes it seems to mean nothing more than disagreement with the policies of the U.S. government. Certainly, in the last couple of years, a wide variety of critics of the U.S. government's actions have been labeled "anti-American," whether they were radical Muslim clerics or French politicians or American activists. If "anti-Americanism" is defined as the pro-Bush crowd seems to want to define it, then I guess you have to count me in as an anti-American (or is it anti-Americanist?).
But then, it seems like some folks believe that anti-Americanism is just a sort of irrational prejudice against all the people and the culture of (the United States of) America. If that's all it is, then I think the burden of proof should be on anyone who uses the tag "anti-American" to show that the person referred to has no rational or principled objection to U.S. policy. This is probably doable in some cases, but clearly not in others.
To put it another way, I think Americans should quit whining about all this "anti-Americanism" that's supposedly out there, and either defend their country's actions or else admit wrongdoing where it has occurred. Cheers to all y'all who are already doing that.
best,
Tom

Opposition is true Friendship.

William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Mobile

---------------------------------

--0-83753746-1050447002=:43623

<DIV>
<DIV>
<P>Greetings Workers of the World,
<P>Appreciated the recent posts on this thread from down under - always good to hear a kind of southern view. Thanks Tom, Joffa, et al.
<P>On the Oils being anti-American, aren't we more interested in&nbsp;understanding what the Oils are FOR? I'm no rocket surgeon, but figuring out what's wrong with the world comes pretty easy to me, and I assume most of us. 'Where do we go from here' &nbsp;would be a more pressing - and promising - question IMO.
<P>Regarding anti-Americanism: is the glass half full or half empty? We recognize the atrocities commited (as Kate mentioned with Dr. Allende) and we also see the good that America has done. Do we have to turn every discussion into a pissing contest?
<P>I'm done. Sorry this should have gone to powderpolitics by rights.
<P>cheers from true north,
<P>bruce in calgary
<P><STRONG>"We sure need the stone age</STRONG>
<P><STRONG>&nbsp;In the coming century."</STRONG>
<P>&nbsp;<B><I>Tom Davies &lt;minuteparticular@yahoo.com.au&gt;</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<DIV>
<DIV>
<P>I want to add a little bit to the discussion around "anti-Americanism," since Felipe has called MO an anti-American band and others have thoroughly rejected the idea.
<P>What is "anti-Americanism," anyway? Sometimes it seems to mean nothing more than disagreement with the policies of the U.S. government. Certainly, in the last couple of years, a wide variety of critics of the U.S. government's actions have been labeled "anti-American," whether they were radical Muslim clerics or&nbsp;French politicians or American activists. If "anti-Americanism" is defined as&nbsp;the pro-Bush crowd seems to&nbsp;want to define it, then I guess you have to count me in as an anti-American (or is it anti-Americanist?).
<P>But then, it seems like some folks believe that anti-Americanism is just a sort of irrational prejudice against all&nbsp;the people and the culture of&nbsp;(the United States of) America. If that's all it is, then I think the burden of proof should be on anyone who uses the tag "anti-American" to show that the person referred to has no rational or principled objection to U.S. policy. This is probably doable in some cases, but clearly not in others.
<P>To put it another way, I think Americans should quit whining about all this "anti-Americanism" that's supposedly out there, and either defend their country's actions or else admit wrongdoing where it has occurred. Cheers to all y'all who are already doing that.
<P>best,
<P>Tom</P></DIV></DIV><BR><BR>Opposition is true Friendship.<BR><BR>William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell
<P><BR>
<HR SIZE=1>
--0-83753746-1050447002=:43623--