Midnight Oil

NMOC-Re: [Powderworks] rules and US --NMOC

Kate Parker Adams kate@dnki.net
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 15:51:35 -0400

I was gonna say ... I traded with Virgil nearly a decade ago and I thought
he's from Ohio or thereabouts.

I think we all must realize as well that you cannot over-interpret every
nuance of the writings of those powderworkers amongst us who are not native
English speakers.  There are many people on this list who are very well
educated and write very well and have immense vocabularies upon which they
rely, but might not have so many talents and the verbal database at their
command were they to opine in a foreign tongue.

I didn't interpret Felipe's "anti-American" comments so strongly as others
for that very reason. In context of his message I suspected that what he
meant was not what we usually may infer when we encounter the phrase.  Thus
"Anti-American band" did not conjure flag burning vehemence but willingness
to critique of US foreign policy.