Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: E&S&M/Loves on Sale

Maurice R. Kelly mkelly@deadheart.org.uk
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 12:20:40 +0100 (BST)

On Apr 5, Matthew Wightwick wrote:

> Getting to the point (finally!), can anybody tell me
> the original inspiration behind "Loves on Sale"?
> Because I reckon that the song, especially the
> following lines:
>
> "You can rent a life today why worry about the real
> thing
> Pay up now and plug in quick, it's easy to co-ordinate
> Just credit card the right idea
> Why wait around an contemplate
> The hidden cost of what you've got
> It's better not to."
>
> could very easily be applied to the Internet. Now, the
> album was released in 1981, long before the 'net. I
> knew the guys were good, but prophetic?!

I'm not sure what you mean by it being applied to the Internet - apart
from "plug in quick" I don't see much more net-related. And the 'net was
around long before 1981 - it's a popular miscconception that the 'net
began with the advent of the Web, which didn't really take off until a few
years after it was conceived either.

Here endeth the history lesson ;-)

--
Maurice R. Kelly