Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: I like the growl SMOC+Les Paul at 50

Bruce Robertson the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 18:18:25 -0400 (EDT)

--- Brian Perkins <btec11@attbi.com> wrote:

> >>He manages to get a tremendous "growl"
> irregardless- properly credited
> to his choice of amplification, perhaps

Gotta love it, eh? I think Martin's choice of Vox amps
provides a most delightful growling counterpoint to
that flawless Fender tone. Thin may be in when it
comes to Fender tone, but fat is where it's at when
you lean on a Vox...

I think I remember reading that the Oils started out
as FARM, playing Zeppelin covers in the late 60's. The
first lp has that thick Paulish tone, especially the
nasally both-pick-ups-on setting. I wonder who/what
else informed Jim and Martin's early tone. Wherever it
came from, their tones have certainly matured
beautifully over the years.

> I'm no gearhead, yet it seems some musicians choose
> a guitar for the "sound" it gives them.

Totally. I just bought a guitar (a G & L Strat) for
exactly that reason. It does the thin, glassy
expressive tone like only a Strat can. But for sheer
ball bustability, there's nothing quite like a Gibson.
I doubt if I could sleep well at night without one or
two under the bed.    ;)

> An example worth noting is 1970-era Pete Townsend.
More like a
> growl/howl... :O) Or 1973-era Neil Young- talk about
> FAT!

Awesome! Am I right in thinking that PT used a Tele
through HiWatts? Or was he into Les Pauls in those
earliest days? and Neil Young hmmmm... I never saw him
live, but I think he used fatter bodied Gibsons, like
350's or maybe Byrdlands... absolutely beautiful in a
bone-crushing kind of way.

Thinking back though, most of my earliest guitar tone
moments were mainly Les Paul induced - very fat and
creamy. The Les Paul toting tone gods of my youth were
guys like:

Jeff Beck up until Blow By Blow
Eric Clapton ala Cream (and of course that ES 335)
Jimmy Page
Frank Zappa
Paul Kossoff

Oh there's tons more. Funny how some really monster
players have switched to be total Strat cats. I still
think that for a lot of players and guitar lovers the
Les Paul was THE starting point though.

cheers,

bruce in calgary

"My guitar wants to kill yer mama."