Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] What lyrics!

Kate Adams kate@dnki.net
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:36:39 -0400

There are metrical as well as lyrical considerations when lyrics are either
composed or emerge from the artist's head.  Words are constrained to a
certain extent by how their rhythmic and syllabic patterns work within the
structure imposed by the music that surrounds them.  For a great example of
meter in lyrics listen to System of the Down, where the lyricist is
constantly battling the drummer for metrical control of the band.

I have rarely liked "One" because its such a downer and is a little
overwrought.  In fact, I haven't liked much U2 has done since
Zooropa.  Then I heard their new single, Electrical Storm and fell all to
pieces.  It was the first thing they had put out in ages that really just
grabbed me around the heart and yanked.

U2 may have gotten bland and pretentious, but somehow, somewhere they do
still have it.  They reach a very wide audience, but I doubt there is
anyone who likes all of it all of the time.

-Kate (now why didn't I empty my m&m's on Bono's head from the balcony?) Adams