Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC: Ned's Atomic Dustbin and New Model Army

Mike Blackwood mikeb@cs.mun.ca
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 13:14:16 -0230 (NDT)

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Randy Van Vliet wrote:

> I'm ready to take the plunge.  I have heard so many
> good things on this list about Ned's Atomic Dustbin
> and New Model Army that I need to branch out and buy
> something.  Can someone familiar with either of these
> bands give me a quick primer and review of their sound
> as well as a recommendation on where to start with
> them?

I recommend "Are You Normal" by Ned's Atomic Dustbin as a great starting
place.  Their debut album (God Fodder) is more raucous, and their
3rd/final studio album (Brainbloodvolume) is more experimental/diverse,
but all 3 are phenomenal in their own right.  Plus there's a 22 track
b-sides album (0.522) that may not be as cohesive as their "proper" albums
but is still essential listening.

They broke up in 95, and the lead singer founded Groundswell UK 1n 98,
which released one indie album & ep before splitting up.  In 2000 they
reformed for a one-off gig (released as the 2001 live album "One More: No
More?"), and have played a few gigs each summer since.

Go to http://listen.to/neds for more info, mp3's, latest gossip, etc.
Official site: http://www.nedsatomicdustbin.com

hold together,
Mike "Elixir" Blackwood