Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Powerful music can save you.

Eel Bonjack scissormansnip@yahoo.com
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 05:36:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Rusty et. al......
well, first off, I'm also a Unitarian.... I mentioned
earlier that I just spent the summer working on an
island off the New England coast, (Portsmouth, NH) and
the place is essentially a Unitarian summer retreat
place. I was a night patroller. Its just plain
beautiful there. (See www.starisland.org, or
www.pelicansarepelicans.com, there is at least one pic
of yours truly there.) I think at least one of you on
this list also is familiar with the place.... I
actually this summer educated a number of people about
Midnight Oil there, and there were others who also
liked them, but not hardcore like me and the rest of
us here. so I may have recruited more powderworkers,
who knows.

as for an American Midnight Oil, I don't know how
necessary that is. I mean, the Oils are irreplacable.
I know some of you may object, but the closest I can
think of is the Dead Kennedys, although of course the
Oils just would be less inclined to come up with a
song called "Too Drunk to Fuck" and they are obviously
more angrier, in your face, and less sentimental. But
think of their song "Moon over Marin" and I could
hear the Oils singing that one just as easily. And not
to mention Jello Biafra's involvment with the Green
Party, as Peter Garrett was with the Australian
Nuclear Disarmament party..... all I am saying is that
there are a few similarities. But I think there isn't,
and there need not be an American Midnight Oil. And
there are more bands out there with that kind of voice
than you may realize... for instance a band from
Amsterdam, the ex, who are pretty damn cool as well...

I feel like now the Oils more than ever are necessary,
esp at such a depressing time when our "President" is
war-mongering to invade a third world country. As if
bombing innocent civilians last year wasn't beyond bad
enough already. What the Oils did to save me was how
the could acknowledge the most brutal things that
happen in the world but also the most meaningful
things about the planet that we have.
n-e ways, thats about it.
yr pal,
eel bonjack

=====
while most people have a conscious and a subconscious,
I operate on the level of subconscious and sub-subconscious.
-Harpo Marx