Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: Breathe bashing

Greg Ralls GregRalls@users.com
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 16:06:30 -0400

i almost fully agree, pete!  especially about "barest degree"...one of my favourite (if not my favourite) oils tune!
"surf's up tonight" & "shakers and movers" are some of my least favourites as well.

however, "outbreak of love" may be my 2nd favourite, so i have to disagree with you on that one ;-)

greg ralls

-----Original Message-----
From: powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu
[mailto:powderworks-admin@cs.colorado.edu]On Behalf Of pete mellor
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 8:31 AM
To: powderworks@cs.colorado.edu
Subject: [Powderworks] Re: Breathe bashing

I couldn't stand by and allow Breathe to be abused in such a way. Breathe
has one of my favourite Oils tracks ever: Barest Degree. There's something
very powerful and moving about it without needing a big powerful sound.
Breathe does however contain one of my least favourite tracks: Surf's Up
Tonight. (other least favourites are: Outbreak of Love and Shakers and
Movers)
I got the impression that the making of Breathe was not an easy process for
the Oils (did Rob not get on with the producer, Malcolm Burn?), however I
think it is a great sounding album and he did a really good job
with those dirty bass sounds and muted guitar slashes on songs like Star of
Hope (another fav.). And who can honestly stand up and say that the sound of
Peter's growly voice played off against the wonderful Emmylou Harris is not
justification enough for the album.

Well anyway that's my two penneth on the subject.

Pete