Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Bash

Glitch sena.reisenweaver@verizon.net
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 18:36:20 -0400

--B_3117983782_128606

            Virgil wrote:
> And a lot of the words were mixes of different images or metaphors that
> weren't very coherent.  I mean, come on.  "The milky way is emasculated"?
> What's that about?
>  Beth wrote:
> Wow, you need to listen to Return to Sender again, Virg.  I can=B9t speak f=
or
> you men, but there=B9s no chance of any female missing the image there.  Ve=
rrrry
> coherent and effectively presented, I assure you - Beth
>=20

This confuses me greatly.  First of all, I just went and reexamined =B3Return
to Sender=B2, and even though I am female I certainly missed whatever image
you are referring to Beth, sorry.  To be honest I have no idea at all what
this song is about, except a vague feeling about =B3trying to turn the world
around=B2 (duh) and maybe how bad billboards and neon lights are.  As for
=B3returning to one=B9s sender,=B2 I have no idea what that=B9s about either; to me
it could be as simple as going home to one=B9s mother and father, or as
complex as rediscovering one=B9s spiritual =B3source.=B2
And furthermore, the lyric Virgil quotes wasn=B9t from that song anyway, it
was from =B3Concrete.=B2  This song also doesn=B9t seem to me to have an image
that would be easily picked up more by females than by males.  To me this i=
one of the most accessible songs on RW because I have lived in cities most
of my life and understand the craving to get out in the open, =B3yearning to
breathe.=B2  That said, I am completely clueless about the Milky Way being
emasculated.  Any ideas, anyone?  I have never thought of our galaxy as
either male or female, nor as being capable of being robbed of its gender.
Help me out.
And Beth, what is the image I missed?

--B_3117983782_128606

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Powderworks] Bash</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#000080"><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Virgil wrote: <BR>
</FONT></FONT></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">And a lot of =
the words were mixes of different images or metaphors that weren't very cohe=
rent. &nbsp;I mean, come on. &nbsp;&quot;The milky way is emasculated&quot;?=
 &nbsp;What's that about?<BR>
&nbsp;</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">Beth wrote:<BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000080"><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Wow, you nee=
d to listen to Return to Sender again, Virg. &nbsp;I can&#8217;t speak for y=
ou men, but there&#8217;s no chance of any female missing the image there. &=
nbsp;Verrrry coherent and effectively presented, I assure you - Beth<BR>
</FONT></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
This confuses me greatly. &nbsp;First of all, I just went and reexamined &#=
8220;Return to Sender&#8221;, and even though I am female I certainly missed=
 whatever image you are referring to Beth, sorry. &nbsp;To be honest I have =
no idea at all what this song is about, except a vague feeling about &#8220;=
trying to turn the world around&#8221; (duh) and maybe how bad billboards an=
d neon lights are. &nbsp;As for &#8220;returning to one&#8217;s sender,&#822=
1; I have no idea what that&#8217;s about either; to me it could be as simpl=
e as going home to one&#8217;s mother and father, or as complex as rediscove=
ring one&#8217;s spiritual &#8220;source.&#8221;<BR>
And furthermore, the lyric Virgil quotes wasn&#8217;t from that song anyway=
, it was from &#8220;Concrete.&#8221; &nbsp;This song also doesn&#8217;t see=
m to me to have an image that would be easily picked up more by females than=
 by males. &nbsp;To me this is one of the most accessible songs on RW becaus=
e I have lived in cities most of my life and understand the craving to get o=
ut in the open, &#8220;yearning to breathe.&#8221; &nbsp;That said, I am com=
pletely clueless about the Milky Way being emasculated. &nbsp;Any ideas, any=
one? &nbsp;I have never thought of our galaxy as either male or female, nor =
as being capable of being robbed of its gender. &nbsp;Help me out.<BR>
And Beth, what is the image I missed?</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3117983782_128606--