Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] All over the map (NMOC), plus: Jello Biafra

GrnVillageGirl@aol.com GrnVillageGirl@aol.com
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 00:40:06 EDT

--part1_184.1061498e.2ae0eaa6_boundary

First of all, I can remember what this country looked like before chain-store
glut, as I drove across it back in '72 (well, someone else did the actual
driving, but let's move on). There were actual Main Streets and Mom-&-Pop
shops were where you actually ate, purchased items and conversed with locals.

Sure, even then there were McDonald's and Woolworth's (oh, I miss that
store), but there were OPTIONS. You could, and did, support your neighbors
with your needs.
There were idiosyncratic little places that could only have been created by
individuals, and pretty wacky ones at that.

Now, every damned highway in the country looks exactly the same. You could be
anywhere. There are no more Main Streets in most locales; they were
devastated by the Wal-Marts and Home Depots.

And I, for one, don't think this is a good thing, but am helpless to do much
about it except to patronize the little hardware store across the street from
me, rather than go down the block to K-Mart; and buy produce at the
Greenmarket rather than the supermarket (fresher and even cheaper, on
occasion, plus you get to talk to the farmer or the family about how best to
use the stuff); and so on. Y'all get the picture.

I COULD go off on a rant about buying stuff that's made in China, probably by
slave labor, instead of paying more for an item made here in the USA (if you
could even find something similar; most places won't even bother trying to
compete), but I won't.

Now, about Bali: maybe I'm the only person in the States who reads overseas
newspapers and other media online, but I doubt it. I hope not, anyway. I hurt
for those who lost loved ones and for anyone affected by this horror. I'm
sorry to generalize here, but many Americans don't seem to care much about
what happens outside these shores, which is one good reason WHY we're in the
mess we're in today. But the media should at least attempt to displace that
blinkered comfortable-place-on-the-couch mentality whenever possible. The
problem is, they lose their audience if they do, so they go right back to
fluffy fried-Twinkie stories. The people get what they deserve, I'm afraid.

Speaking of which, we come to Jello Biafra, who most certainly is NOT getting
what he deserves. He's going into legal battle again with his former
bandmates, who are hot to sell off the Dead Kennedys' musical legacy to the
highest bidder. Or ANY bidder, come to that. He's dead set against
commercializing the music -- a topic we've covered here recently -- and is
having to pay through the nose for those principles. When I saw him do his
spoken-word rant at Warsaw in Brooklyn the other night (very
funny/sharp/informative; catch him if you can), he put his shoe on the stage
before intermission and asked that spare change be put in it for the
Alternative Tentacles Legal Defense Fund.

There are many parallels, I think, between the Oils and Biafra: they started
their own labels (although Biafra, against all odds, still has his -- and
uses it to support artists who would otherwise go unsigned); they have no use
for the cheapening of their music by greedy idiotic corporations, and they
speak truth to power, even if it winds up hurting them in the pocketbook.

I would like to suggest that anyone here with a few nickels to spare, and I
know times are tough but every little bit helps, might go to the AT website
and use PayPal to help out a guy who's still fighting the good fight (and
hates the fact that the DKs not only sold out "Holiday in Cambodia" to
Dockers -- !! -- but are currently on the road with Brandon Cruz, the child
actor from "The Courtship of Eddie's Father", substituting for Jello).

<A HREF="http://www.alternativetentacles.com/">http://www.alternativetentacles.com/</A>

Check out the left-hand side of the page, where the Legal Defense Fund is
mentioned, and click through to find out more.

On behalf of Biafra, if I may be so bold -- thanks!

--part1_184.1061498e.2ae0eaa6_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff"><FONT  style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">First of all, I can remember what this country looked like before chain-store glut, as I drove across it back in '72 (well, someone else did the actual driving, but let's move on). There were actual Main Streets and Mom-&amp;-Pop shops were where you actually ate, purchased items and conversed with locals.<BR>
<BR>
Sure, even then there were McDonald's and Woolworth's (oh, I miss that store), but there were OPTIONS. You could, and did, support your neighbors with your needs.<BR>
There were idiosyncratic little places that could only have been created by individuals, and pretty wacky ones at that.<BR>
<BR>
Now, every damned highway in the country looks exactly the same. You could be anywhere. There are no more Main Streets in most locales; they were devastated by the Wal-Marts and Home Depots.<BR>
<BR>
And I, for one, don't think this is a good thing, but am helpless to do much about it except to patronize the little hardware store across the street from me, rather than go down the block to K-Mart; and buy produce at the Greenmarket rather than the supermarket (fresher and even cheaper, on occasion, plus you get to talk to the farmer or the family about how best to use the stuff); and so on. Y'all get the picture.<BR>
<BR>
I COULD go off on a rant about buying stuff that's made in China, probably by slave labor, instead of paying more for an item made here in the USA (if you could even find something similar; most places won't even bother trying to compete), but I won't.<BR>
<BR>
Now, about Bali: maybe I'm the only person in the States who reads overseas newspapers and other media online, but I doubt it. I hope not, anyway. I hurt for those who lost loved ones and for anyone affected by this horror. I'm sorry to generalize here, but many Americans don't seem to care much about what happens outside these shores, which is one good reason WHY we're in the mess we're in today. But the media should at least attempt to displace that blinkered comfortable-place-on-the-couch mentality whenever possible. The problem is, they lose their audience if they do, so they go right back to fluffy fried-Twinkie stories. The people get what they deserve, I'm afraid. <BR>
<BR>
Speaking of which, we come to Jello Biafra, who most certainly is NOT getting what he deserves. He's going into legal battle again with his former bandmates, who are hot to sell off the Dead Kennedys' musical legacy to the highest bidder. Or ANY bidder, come to that. He's dead set against commercializing the music -- a topic we've covered here recently -- and is having to pay through the nose for those principles. When I saw him do his spoken-word rant at Warsaw in Brooklyn the other night (very funny/sharp/informative; catch him if you can), he put his shoe on the stage before intermission and asked that spare change be put in it for the Alternative Tentacles Legal Defense Fund.<BR>
<BR>
There are many parallels, I think, between the Oils and Biafra: they started their own labels (although Biafra, against all odds, still has his -- and uses it to support artists who would otherwise go unsigned); they have no use for the cheapening of their music by greedy idiotic corporations, and they speak truth to power, even if it winds up hurting them in the pocketbook. <BR>
<BR>
I would like to suggest that anyone here with a few nickels to spare, and I know times are tough but every little bit helps, might go to the AT website and use PayPal to help out a guy who's still fighting the good fight (and hates the fact that the DKs not only sold out "Holiday in Cambodia" to Dockers -- !! -- but are currently on the road with Brandon Cruz, the child actor from "The Courtship of Eddie's Father", substituting for Jello).<BR>
<BR>
<A HREF="http://www.alternativetentacles.com/">http://www.alternativetentacles.com/</A><BR>
<BR>
Check out the left-hand side of the page, where the Legal Defense Fund is mentioned, and click through to find out more.<BR>
<BR>
On behalf of Biafra, if I may be so bold -- thanks!</FONT></HTML>

--part1_184.1061498e.2ae0eaa6_boundary--