Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: One country or 31st state

Eel Bonjack scissormansnip@yahoo.com
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 18:12:19 -0700 (PDT)

> I totally agree with this.  Nobody is forcing anyone
> to make any of these choices. The reason American
> business has been so successful is because of its
> ability to satisfy consumer demand throughout the
> world.  If people In Australia or anywhere want to
> eat McDonald's, then they should be allowed and able
> to.   Why should they be denied this desire because
> they do not live in the US or McDonald's and
> Starbucks are not from their country. Is choice not
> one of the anchors of a truly free society?  Denying
> something that people want on any grounds is wrong.

On the other hand, as Jello Biafra and Mojo Nixon put
it "the convenience that you demanded is now
mandatory. Now everything shall be done for you."
Corporate retails pander so shamelessly, and
commercials manipulate people's minds subversively,
and people are just forced to buy stuff they "want".
There isn't much free will involved, and its getting
more and more blatant and less and less subtle. OF
course what most big publishers and record companies
and conglomerates make accessable to the public is
what the people "want" because they CAN'T GET ANYTHING
ELSE!!! I know there are gray areas in the sense that
many lower class people can't afford to shop anywhere
else other than Wal-Mart to suit their needs, but its
so sad that the whole Wal-Mart culture has to dumb
everybody down in the process.
I know its good to have choices, even lowest common
denominator ones, but its getting to be that those are
a bit too overshadowing methinks. ok, I'll shut up.

=====
while most people have a conscious and a subconscious,
I operate on the level of subconscious and sub-subconscious.
-Harpo Marx