Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] LMOC: One Country or 51st State of the US?

Craig Jacobson cjake@pipeline.com
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 19:37:45 -0400

Consider the specific items included in PG's rant:  grunge, grunge
fashion, rap, the Olympics.

First, the Olympics:  Australia hosted Melbourne 1956 as well as Sydney
2000.  That's two of the last twelve summer Olympics, the same as the
U.S. over this period.  (We'll leave the winter Olympics out of this
discussion until Bondi Beach freezes over.)  So, Australia's involvement
in the international sports community is hardly new.

The other items, all presented as an American cultural invasion, are
choices made by Australian consumers, not something forced upon them.
 If I can avoid all of the above living a few miles from midtown New
York, and also avoid the ubiquitous McDonalds, I'm not sure why those in
other countries can't as well.

Finally, we have the CNN issue.  Ironically, I spent many nights
drinking many VBs in that club in Bali that was blown up with Australian
friends, listening to what a joke they thought CNN was as a news source.
 I've been reading the SMH online for news on the Bali situation.  The
cable news channel I watch is owned by Rupert Murdoch.  My favorite news
magazine is British.  The point of this is that news is far more
international than it was in the pre-CNN days.  Anyone with an internet
connection who gets all of their news from CNN is doing it by their own
choice, not by dint of American dominance.

I used to travel overseas often, and it always saddened me to see
McDonalds and Coke and Michael Jordan shirts all over the place.  I wish
the rest of the world would chase McDonalds by simply not eating there.

Off of my soapbox now...