Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] LMOC: One Country or 51st State of the US?

Beth Curran bcurran@columbus.rr.com
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 18:19:35 -0400

Kate, I think you zeroed in on the key phrase - cultural autonomy as
compared to issues of interconnectivity, whereby actions on the part of
one world unit have the power to positively or negatively affect the
lives (as opposed to the culture) of others.  The US cultural metastasis
takes on more than a little irony in light of our catastrophic digital
divide.  I certainly hope the rest of the world wises up before they,
too, disenfranchise an entire segment of their population.

It reminds me of the issues that face my own family, which is huge (I
have 6 sibs), and contains several unique personalities (oh, really?).
The personality differences are encouraged, but nobody allows them to
interfere with the important job of making sure the family runs
smoothly, that everybody is taken care of, and that butts are kicked
when necessary.  The Jehovah's Witness bro and the freethinker sis work
together to take care of Mom, and we like each other just fine, even if
we don't pal around much and even if there is no possible chance for
common cultural ground, since he is buried in anti-intellectual sexist
crap and I have a working cerebral cortex....oh, excuse me, what was I
saying?  - Beth