Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Re: Selling out

msira@calis.com msira@calis.com
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:44:08 -0700

>"If Jello Biafra did a car ad it would be an outrage to Gen X people,"
>Martiniano says.

The Dead Kennedy's version of "Viva Las-Vegas" WAS going to be used in a car
commercial.  Jello pulled the plug on it, refusing to cave in to the rest of
the band members wishes(who wanted to do it).

I don't know, I have mixed feelings when some of these commercials come on.  I
think it's not really right to compare a commerical that features music by an
current, already succesful band like Papa Roach to, say, that Nissan commerical
featuring "What Do I Get?" by the Buzzcocks.  I mean, bands like the Buzzcocks
never were commercially successful, they were cult bands.  They never got the
acclaim, or the money that they deserved.  Also, it's not furthering their
career, really, most of these bands are finished or are simply touring
the "Oldies" circuit to make a living.  In a certain way, it's good to think
that they're at least getting some money after all these years.  Same with the
Ramones and a lot of other punk/post-punk/whatever bands whose music is
suddenly popping up in commercials.
Now for current, successful bands like Papa Roach to add advertising money to
their already burgeoning piles of cash...that's just plain greed.