Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Sell-outs

Kate Adams kate@dnki.net
Tue, 08 Oct 2002 21:33:13 -0400

One thing you can say about Billy Idol is that he lacks the pretense of
being a serious artist.  So his act is 98% schlock and always has been.  So
what?  He's an entertainer and I happen to find him pretty damn entertaining.

As far as Sheryl Crow's "lapses" and other "sellouts", I offer the
following three observations:

1) these people have managers and handlers who get them into these things
for their own purposes, and when people become larger than life they often
get dragged around by their entourage and people who say things like "well,
REM turned down Microsoft and where are they now?".

2)Don't be so sure money has anything to do with it.  Having personally
witnessed Bono touring Harvard University (where I work), its hard to
describe the expression on his face knowing he was being taken seriously as
a human rights activist.  Sort of a "just got my license and Dad actually
handed me the keys to the Porsche" face.  And this wasn't something he was
being paid for.  Satisfaction can transcend money.

3) If you want to hold up someone as being exemplary, be sure you don't
ever look too close.  Everyone involved in any of this is, ultimately,
human and will have human flaws and quirks.  Even the cleanest person has
mites in their eyebrows if you look with a microscope.

That's why they call it "arts and entertainment".  Some are artists, some
are entertainers.  If you don't care for the latter, support the former and
get on with it.