Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] songwriting

Bruce Robertson the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:23:44 -0500 (EST)

--0-228850122-1038331424=:79872

Hey Powder Choir,
Randy's post about singing in church made me think... I wonder if Pete attends a local church, and if so, what is it like when he sings along? Does he take the melody line?  Would it sound Oily? Does he move around - genuflecting as only he can? And Randy, I wonder what HIS daughters think if he does?  Somehow I can almost picture/hear him in the choir, robes and all, even raising those huge hands in praise and worship - wouldn't that shake things up a bit eh! :)
bruce in calgary
PS.  BTW Randy, my kids have accused me of singing too loud and sounding like 'the bald guy' in church - intended as a mock, but in reality such a complement - that I should be so lucky!

 Randy Van Vliet <bigdaddyrv@yahoo.com> wrote:My take on this whole subject is that you can't show
any one song or even album as an example of the Oils
songwriting prowess because there really isn't any
"Oils Sound" (other than sustained excellence). I
would try to show the progression from the early punky
sounds to the "outback acoustic" which culminated in
D&D to the more mature sound of BSM and ESM and then
they completely shake it all up with Breathe and (my
personal favorite) Redneck Wonderland then Capricornia
which kind of goes back to the combination of the D&D
and BSM sounds to me. The only constant that I can
tell is that each sound works perfectly and I can't
live without any of them. I need to add the
disclaimer that I have absolutley no musical training
and no musical ability whatsoever (My 14 year old
daughter, who sings like a lark, won't sit next to me
in Church anymore because of my singing), but...I know
what I like and more often than not it's the Oils!

Randy

--0-228850122-1038331424=:79872

<P>Hey Powder Choir,
<P>Randy's post about singing in church made me think... I wonder if Pete attends a local church, and if so, what is it like when he sings along? Does he take the melody line?&nbsp; Would it sound Oily? Does he move around - genuflecting as only he can? And Randy, I wonder what HIS daughters think if he does?&nbsp; Somehow I can almost picture/hear him in the choir, robes and all, even raising those huge hands in praise and worship - wouldn't that shake things up a bit eh! :)
<P>bruce in calgary
<P>PS.&nbsp; BTW&nbsp;Randy, my kids have accused me of singing too loud and sounding like 'the bald guy' in church - intended as a mock, but in reality such a complement - that I should be so lucky!
<P>&nbsp;