Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] the aftermath

Bruce Robertson the_oil_fish@yahoo.ca
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 19:24:04 -0500 (EST)

--0-751012543-1036628644=:67634

Powderpeople (with apologies for not sticking to Powderpolitics@yahoo.com)
     It may or may not be a dark day for democracy - only history will tell all - but judging by the attrocious political drivel of the current thread, it's blackest night in terms of political commentary on the p'works list. Such dismal handwringing - gawd!
"American democracy is dead" and "Dictator Bush" - yeah right. Where exactly do you people live?  The masses have spoken, for better or worse. Pick up the pieces and rebuild if you have so much passion, wisdom, guts and vision for your land and people. Or better yet, live somewhere else for a while - like Afghanistan, Burma, Cambodia, Djibouti, Ethiopia, French Guyana, Gabon, Haiti, Iraq, Jordan, Kazakstan, Liberia, Morroco, ...etc, then feel free to crawl home and condemn those of your countrymen who weren't so proud and quick to abandon hope.
i'm tired.
bruce in calgary
'Governing Italians is not impossible. It's just pointless.' ~ Mussolini

Eel Bonjack <scissormansnip@yahoo.com> wrote: It is a dark day for democracy, for freedom in the
world's biggest superpower. Apparently, Republicans
are going to be in control of Congress, and there will
be no balance of power. Our so called "President's"
administration is a joke, but not a funny one.
Apparently, his tactic of trying to invade a third
world country just to get more oil and to look
patriotic has worked. IT divided and conquered the
Democrats (who are no good themselves) and our stupid
media makes him look like a hero for it. I'm sure many
of you in other countries have a different angle.
Well I must echo again and again, that he is as
idiotic and as dangerous as ever, and even more
emphatically, NOT MY PRESIDENT. He is the first
American dictator, and I don't mean this rhetorically.
He was NOT democratically elected, yet this time
around, his manipulation worked differently, and all
too well. I underestimated the intelligence of the
American public when I thought most people would see
right through it (Why has Enron disappeared off the
front page?) Our system of democracy, of checks and
balances is now dead, it has now failed and
malfunctioned. It has been sick for years, granted,
but now its flatlining. Bush will not stop;slowly but
surely, he will take away more freedom of expression,
kill everybody who disagrees with him, and it will
happen right before our very eyes, subtly but
effectively.

Its better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

=====
"Stories are the most important thing in the world. Without stories, we would be nothing at all."
-Philip Pullman

---------------------------------

--0-751012543-1036628644=:67634

<P>Powderpeople (with apologies for not sticking to <A href="mailto:Powderpolitics@yahoo.com">Powderpolitics@yahoo.com</A>)
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;It may or may not be a dark day for democracy - only history will tell all - but judging by the attrocious political drivel of the current thread, it's blackest night in terms of political commentary on the p'works list.&nbsp;Such dismal handwringing - gawd!&nbsp;&nbsp;
<P>"American democracy is dead" and "Dictator Bush"&nbsp;- yeah right. Where exactly do you people live?&nbsp; The masses have spoken, for better or worse. Pick up the pieces and rebuild if you have so much passion, wisdom, guts&nbsp;and vision for your land and people. Or better yet, live somewhere else for a while - like Afghanistan, Burma, Cambodia, Djibouti, Ethiopia, French Guyana, Gabon, Haiti, Iraq, Jordan, Kazakstan, Liberia, Morroco, ...etc, then feel free to crawl home and condemn those of your countrymen who&nbsp;weren't so&nbsp;proud and quick&nbsp;to&nbsp;abandon hope.
<P>i'm tired.
<P>bruce in calgary
<P>'Governing Italians is not impossible. It's just pointless.' ~ Mussolini
<P>&nbsp;
<P>&nbsp;
<P><B><I>Eel Bonjack &lt;scissormansnip@yahoo.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">It is a dark day for democracy, for freedom in the<BR>world's biggest superpower. Apparently, Republicans<BR>are going to be in control of Congress, and there will<BR>be no balance of power. Our so called "President's"<BR>administration is a joke, but not a funny one.<BR>Apparently, his tactic of trying to invade a third<BR>world country just to get more oil and to look<BR>patriotic has worked. IT divided and conquered the<BR>Democrats (who are no good themselves) and our stupid<BR>media makes him look like a hero for it. I'm sure many<BR>of you in other countries have a different angle. <BR>Well I must echo again and again, that he is as<BR>idiotic and as dangerous as ever, and even more<BR>emphatically, NOT MY PRESIDENT. He is the first<BR>American dictator, and I don't mean this rhetorically.<BR>He was NOT democratically elected, yet this time<BR>around, his manipulation worked differently, and all<BR>too well. I underestimated the intelligence of the<BR>American public when I thought most people would see<BR>right through it (Why has Enron disappeared off the<BR>front page?) Our system of democracy, of checks and<BR>balances is now dead, it has now failed and<BR>malfunctioned. It has been sick for years, granted,<BR>but now its flatlining. Bush will not stop;slowly but<BR>surely, he will take away more freedom of expression,<BR>kill everybody who disagrees with him, and it will<BR>happen right before our very eyes, subtly but<BR>effectively.<BR><BR>Its better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.<BR><BR>=====<BR>"Stories are the most important thing in the world. Without stories, we would be nothing at all."<BR>-Philip Pullman<BR><BR>__________________________________________________<BR>Do You Yahoo!?<BR>Yahoo! Health - Feel better, live better<BR>http://health.yahoo.com<BR>_______________________________________________<BR>Powderworks mailing list<BR>Powderworks@cs.colorado.edu<BR>http://www.cs.colorado.edu/mai
--0-751012543-1036628644=:67634--