Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Bullroarer

Stephen Scott stephenandeva@hotmail.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 20:15:28 +0000

Hi there,
The bull-roarer makes a humming or whirring sound when spun around rapidly.
Aboriginal men used these as a signal to the women and children to keep away
from their secret ceremonies.
If you listen to the start of the song, the noise before the guitars kick in
is a bullroarer. Also, if you watch that classic (?) old 80's comedy,
Crocodile Dundee, you will see him using one to signal someone. It is
basically a piece of wood on the end of a long piece of string, which you
twirl around your head. It makes different sounds depending on how fast you
twirl it.
See ya
Stephen

"This is a mad house...you'll be lucky to make it till Tuesday"