Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Amnesty Slams Australia on Refugees

Jane R bunge91@hotmail.com
Wed, 29 May 2002 10:00:08 +1000

I thought everyone might be interested in this story. It's from Nine Msn.
Jane.

Amnesty slams Australia on refugees

Australia destroyed its reputation as a fighter for ordinary people with its
stance on asylum seekers, human rights group Amnesty International said.

In its 2001 annual report, Amnesty commented that while Australia celebrated
100 years of constitutional democracy last year, there was a lack of human
rights guarantees in the country's constitution.

The group said the Australian government had breached a raft of human rights
standards by detaining asylum seekers for long periods in detention centres
such as Woomera and preventing others from arriving on boats from Indonesia.

"In 2001 the overriding human rights concern Amnesty International had with
Australia is the pretty much wholesale demolition of Australia's refugee
protection program," said Amnesty's Asia and Pacific researcher Demelza
Stubbings.

"What we saw in Australia last year was pretty shocking. We have always seen
Australia in the past as a country which has been at the forefront of
promoting and protecting human rights and that includes the rights of
refugees.

"What we saw in 2001 was an erection of walls and fences, it completely
eroded the rights of people to seek and enjoy asylum in Australia. That
trend has continued through this year.

"Australia's a country which has stood up for the rights of ordinary people,
for the rights of refugees and human rights for everybody. To see that
protection eroded, to see the United Nations critical of its human rights
record is very sad.

"Australia has had a proud record in the past on accepting people. We expect
more of Australia."

A UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention visited the Woomera Detention
Centre in South Australia on Tuesday and Amnesty secretary general Irene
Khan hoped for regular access and independent inspections of all centres in
Australia.

"What we need is a regular system of inspections, in Australia you have
regular prison inspections, so why not have proper inspections of the
detention centres," she said.

She visited Australia in March and spoke with Immigration Minister Philip
Ruddock who refused her permission to go to Woomera because of a fear of
inflaming security incidents.

Mr Ruddock, a badge-wearing Amnesty member, agreed to allow Amnesty access
to the detention centres later this year but Irene Khan said she was
awaiting confirmation of a date.

She said the minister's hardline stance on asylum seekers contradicted his
membership of the organisation.

"I would assume as a member, he either believes in Amnesty's values and
upholds them or he should not be wearing a badge, at least when he carries
out his official duties," she said.

"I would say Mr Ruddock has to examine his own conscience to see whether he
carried the badge to symbolise certain values and whether he carries out
those values in his own work."

The annual report also commented that Aboriginal deaths in custody were
still a major human rights issue confronting Australia.